E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 21 2020 12:44pm

I've lost my desire to buy a Sur Ron. The problem with it is it looks too much like a motorcycle to ride on the street without registration, and then you can't ride it on the city bike paths. All things considered my Bomber is better suited for the riding I do. The only thing that's bugging me is my 24ah battery is better than stock, but still too little. With the money I just saved by not buying a Sur Ron, I'm going to buy a bigger battery.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Feb 21 2020 5:11pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Feb 21 2020 12:44pm
I've lost my desire to buy a Sur Ron. The problem with it is it looks too much like a motorcycle to ride on the street without registration, and then you can't ride it on the city bike paths. All things considered my Bomber is better suited for the riding I do. The only thing that's bugging me is my 24ah battery is better than stock, but still too little. With the money I just saved by not buying a Sur Ron, I'm going to buy a bigger battery.
I got a SurRon, its not something I would be able to get away with riding on the road without at least being contacted by the fuzz.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 22 2020 12:25pm

Rix wrote:
Feb 21 2020 5:11pm
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Feb 21 2020 12:44pm
I got a SurRon, its not something I would be able to get away with riding on the road without at least being contacted by the fuzz.
I've changed my attitude about the Sur Ron. After doing a lot of research I think it's the most desirable electric motorcycle on the market. If Sur Ron ever makes the bike easier to register I think they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. My problem is I've gotten used to riding anywhere in the city a bicycle can go. I tried once already going back with my Tomos moped, and although it was a great bike, I couldn't get used to how limiting it was not being able to take it on the trails or sidewalks. That makes my Bomber to this day still at the top of my list, but now for the first time since I bought it in 2013, there's at least one other bike that comes close even if it is a slightly different animal. The competition is starting to catch up with us, but it also demonstrates how far ahead of it's time Mr Stealth really was, and for the time being still is.

john61ct   10 GW

10 GW

Post by john61ct » Feb 22 2020 3:35pm

Sorry, but what is that pictured?

efMX Trials Electric Freeride   1 MW

1 MW

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Feb 22 2020 3:46pm

some ppl have ordered the surron L1e version china direct from Jiesute .. because it has a VIN number and all the moped street legal gear should be easier to get registered than the off-road version .. and looks like there may be more options coming for usa surron bikes, parts etc soon with segway, teznic, and ebikezilla ..
some ride & sk8 videos:
metacafe.com/channels/NATAS666DAMIEN
http://www.youtube.com/natas666damien
i have nothing for sale.. :)

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 22 2020 7:37pm

john61ct wrote:
Feb 22 2020 3:35pm
Sorry, but what is that pictured?
That was my Tomos, my last bike before this Stealth thingy. What I like better about the Stealth over the Tomos, and mostly applies to a Sur Ron too is, I can ride the Stealth anywhere, and no one ever notices it, it really is stealthy. I don't have to register, insure, or have it inspected by anyone other then myself. I can ride it on city bike trails, streets, and sidewalks. I've had police block traffic for me so I could illegally ride across the street in the crosswalk.

Tomos, or Sur Ron I wouldn't try it.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 22 2020 8:20pm

efMX Trials Electric Freeride wrote:
Feb 22 2020 3:46pm
some ppl have ordered the surron L1e version china direct from Jiesute .. because it has a VIN number and all the moped street legal gear should be easier to get registered than the off-road version .. and looks like there may be more options coming for usa surron bikes, parts etc soon with segway, teznic, and ebikezilla ..
I'm not surprised there's going to be a lot more sellers, they're going to need them.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 22 2020 9:02pm

I haven't mentioned lately how great these Fox 40s are. These forks are ass kickers better than every fork I've ever tried by far. I just added air for the first time since installing them last year. I'm running about 94 psi which is about 15 or 20 psi less than they were out of the box. They ride very comfortably, but can take a hard hit, and keep the tire on the road better than anything I've experienced before. They've never bottomed out either. They look almost too bad ass for my low key look I'm after.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 23 2020 10:27am

Here's another huge advantage my Bomber has over a Sur Ron. Last week I ran out of battery 8 miles from home. No problem though, because I pedaled home in about an hour, sometimes even getting up to 4th gear. Big deal you might think, but try it when you're 66.

1 MW

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Feb 23 2020 10:31am

:bigthumb:
some ride & sk8 videos:

john61ct   10 GW

10 GW

Post by john61ct » Feb 23 2020 11:31am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:I haven't mentioned lately how great these Fox 40s are. These forks are ass kickers better than every fork I've ever tried by far. I just added air for the first time since installing them last year. I'm running about 94 psi which is about 15 or 20 psi less than they were out of the box. They ride very comfortably, but can take a hard hit, and keep the tire on the road better than anything I've experienced before. They've never bottomed out either. They look almost too bad ass for my low key look I'm after.
Think they'd be stiff & strong enough to handle a powerful DD hub motor on front?

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 23 2020 2:11pm

john61ct wrote:
Feb 23 2020 11:31am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:I haven't mentioned lately how great these Fox 40s are. These forks are ass kickers better than every fork I've ever tried by far. I just added air for the first time since installing them last year. I'm running about 94 psi which is about 15 or 20 psi less than they were out of the box. They ride very comfortably, but can take a hard hit, and keep the tire on the road better than anything I've experienced before. They've never bottomed out either. They look almost too bad ass for my low key look I'm after.
Think they'd be stiff & strong enough to handle a powerful DD hub motor on front?
Yeah they're really strong. A big hub motor isn't going to make them breath hard, the brakes put more stress on them than a motor will, and they have no problem with that.

Don't forget they have a 20mm axle.

PRW   10 kW

10 kW

Post by PRW » Feb 24 2020 10:49pm

quick question - where is the model number stamped on the frame for the B52? thanks

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 25 2020 12:08am

PRW wrote:
Feb 24 2020 10:49pm
quick question - where is the model number stamped on the frame for the B52? thanks
It's on a plaque, on the left side of the head tube.

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Feb 25 2020 2:48am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Feb 25 2020 12:08am
I'm not sure that's the case any more. I know it was on the older models, but I think the new one's might have it internal to the frame now.
After my Fighter came back from Stealth recently it had a new serial # stamped to a brace on the inside of the frame just under the seat sub-frame. It doesn't match my previous serial #66 though so I dunno what mine is officially now.

Cheers
My stuff:
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

For Sale:
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

PRW   10 kW

10 kW

Post by PRW » Feb 25 2020 5:06am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
PRW wrote:
Feb 24 2020 10:49pm
Thanks TV

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 25 2020 11:02am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Feb 25 2020 2:48am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
I'm not sure that's the case any more. I know it was on the older models, but I think the new one's might have it internal to the frame now.
After my Fighter came back from Stealth recently it had a new serial # stamped to a brace on the inside of the frame just under the seat sub-frame. It doesn't match my previous serial #66 though so I dunno what mine is officially now.

Cheers
Typically after a factory rebuilds it, it would be considered new again so I would consider the new number active now.

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Feb 27 2020 7:46am

Well....

Although I cant afford a fox 40..... I recently upgraded from the RST R-ONE to whats now the stock fit DNM-USD-8.
i find the bike tramlines more with the USD ie feels tougher to make the bike change direction and i'm struggling to want a line and get it (on the road), I'm trying not to overthink it as then i fell like im simply out of control and when i hold the front wheel between my legs and turn the handlebars there is an alarming amount of movement (easily) The RST R-One is much stiffer (torsionally?)
that said the ride is much better (softer) than a basically worn out RST-R -one.
it had worn through the gold plating on the legs and had stopped leaking oil through the seals (no oil left lol)
Stealth helped me out with a bag of bits of 2nd hand (warranty units I guess) to get one serviceable set out of.

Overall result - winning (I think) and still getting used to it......

anyone has some setup ideas for it i'm all ears . (dont have a shock pump ?? do I need one??)

K

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 27 2020 1:00pm

KarlJ wrote:
Feb 27 2020 7:46am
Well....

Although I cant afford a fox 40..... I recently upgraded from the RST R-ONE to whats now the stock fit DNM-USD-8.
i find the bike tramlines more with the USD ie feels tougher to make the bike change direction and i'm struggling to want a line and get it (on the road), I'm trying not to overthink it as then i fell like im simply out of control and when i hold the front wheel between my legs and turn the handlebars there is an alarming amount of movement (easily) The RST R-One is much stiffer (torsionally?)
that said the ride is much better (softer) than a basically worn out RST-R -one.
it had worn through the gold plating on the legs and had stopped leaking oil through the seals (no oil left lol)
Stealth helped me out with a bag of bits of 2nd hand (warranty units I guess) to get one serviceable set out of.

Overall result - winning (I think) and still getting used to it......

anyone has some setup ideas for it i'm all ears . (dont have a shock pump ?? do I need one??)

K

Yes you'll need some way to add air to your forks. I use my compressor, and set the regulator to the pressure I want, usually about 95 psi. For you it will depend on how much you weight, and the kind of riding you do. What you want is enough pressure to keep from bottoming out. Once you figure out your best pressure you won't need to add air very often. I recommend starting out with your compression, and rebound adjustments in the middle of the range, and find your best air pressure first. If you don't own a compressor there's a lot of suspension air pumps you can buy. I would probably buy the one from Fox Racing which is a major brand, and reasonably priced.

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Feb 28 2020 12:02am

95psi is cool, i had some idea it was hundreds like an aircraft oleo,
can do that with bike pump will sus out mid range and go from there.
Cheers Karl

mcclead2   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mcclead2 » Feb 28 2020 9:27am

I am thinking of building an ebike with a stealth frame from ebay / AliExpress - I am looking to see if anyone has fitted Turnigy 20000mah 6S Lipo batteries into these frames and how did they wire them. I am looking to use it for commuting to work and forest trails in summer. Also what kw motor would you recommend and HUB or Crank motor?

I'm pretty tall (6ft) and ride motorbikes so want something that will move and handle good.

1 MW

Post by efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Feb 28 2020 11:29am

what kind of budget are you hoping for.. those copy cat frames are not great, handling, weight, quality.. how about starting with a better frame such as stealth futr frame etc .. since the frame is the backbone of a powerful ebike not the best place to skimp.. hub bikes are easier to build but mid drive is better for off-road..
some ride & sk8 videos:

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Feb 29 2020 6:41am

CJonaBttlrckt wrote:
Feb 29 2020 6:15am
I really only want about fifty cells, as I was hoping to get another year or two out of my relatively recently purchased battery, with a bit of cell replacement.
There seems to be a few parallel packs that aren't keeping up.
I'm not confident the BMS isn't the cause.
Yeah, Battery Murdering Systems can do that. You could break out the balance leads so you can monitor them separate to the BMS, but it's a lot of work for not much gain.
I directed said Hurricane owner to you for the new battery.
The Hurricane's in my shed being subjected to foot peg assembly replacement with a bottom bracket for single speed pedal setup.
Thanks! Appreciate the referral.

It should be a great pack when done and as I advised the owner, he will have the longest range Hurricane in the world once this is complete. :)
DSC_5922.JPG
DSC_5922.JPG (162.3 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
I'm nearly finished it actually...just got the balance parallel port contraption that replaces the BMS to make then I'm done. :)

Cheers
My stuff:
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

For Sale:
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Mar 05 2020 7:17pm

[/quote]

I really only want about fifty cells, as I was hoping to get another year or two out of my relatively recently purchased battery, with a bit of cell replacement.
There seems to be a few parallel packs that aren't keeping up.
I'm not confident the BMS isn't the cause.

Cheers,
Clinton
[/quote]

Disconnect the BMS and add a 80A MCB, monitor packs manually for a few rides. If you want to fix an existing assembled pack it can get tricky. try and identify what you have so at least you can replace with same cells.
18650's are very reliable, in fact CD is so confident he doesn't run a BMS at all AND rarely does he need to balance them.

Personally I have made DIY powerwalls etc and dud cells are typically flat and have internal damage/ whatever elsea that causes them to heat significantly during charging and they die quickly afterwards. AS for new cells it is VERY rare to have any problems. so rare in fact TESLA use ~10,000 in a P90D, whilst they have cell level fuses in real life I dont think anyone has ever seen one popped for any reason.

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW

Post by gomyles » Mar 05 2020 9:45pm

Hello there all

Quick question for anyone who has ran the Zoom 680DH Forks

Looking to run the the 29'' version for a bit more tire clearance
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003109240.html

Anyone forsee any issues with fitment? I'm okay with the quality at that price point.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and all of your bikes look amazing