Windows Gaming PC hardware, building, troubleshooting, & benchmarking

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Jan 27 2020 3:01pm

OK, sounds good, I will toss it back in the gigbyte i7 system where is has lived for 8 years happy, check it there first, then if still not working try my usb-sata adapter.

The PlexHD MB only has 2 usb3 ports on the back (there is a MB connector for 2 more for front panel), I bought the cable for $3, not here yet. I also bought this pci-e 7 port usb3 card for $16, you see any issues with a cheap card like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3269498 ... 4c4dzQu7k5

I am looking for a pci-e sata3 raid card, 4~6 internal ports and 2 or more external (back panel) ports, suggestions (looking on ALI now)?

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Jan 27 2020 7:22pm

--Oz-- wrote:
Jan 27 2020 3:01pm
OK, sounds good, I will toss it back in the gigbyte i7 system where is has lived for 8 years happy, check it there first, then if still not working try my usb-sata adapter.

The PlexHD MB only has 2 usb3 ports on the back (there is a MB connector for 2 more for front panel), I bought the cable for $3, not here yet. I also bought this pci-e 7 port usb3 card for $16, you see any issues with a cheap card like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3269498 ... 4c4dzQu7k5

I am looking for a pci-e sata3 raid card, 4~6 internal ports and 2 or more external (back panel) ports, suggestions (looking on ALI now)?
Nar no suggestions on the hardware, but with "405 Reviews / 863 orders" looks like it should be good.
While that item looks like a solid choice, I would avoid ordering these comparatively easily obtainable items on Aliexpress and try and obtain them locally for the sake of fast delivery and warranty convenience, is all I have to add.
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Jan 27 2020 10:30pm

I found my notes on my Asus P6x58-e-pro with i7-980x/24gb/gtx480, trying win10 (v1709 two years ago) it randomly bsod (nothing like the bsod on i7-920 every hour). The i7-980x bsod gave "whea.unrecoverable.error". When I have time I will try the latest version of windows. I am going to need a psu as i robbed it for the new xeon.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 02 2020 2:02am

Banned spammer Alextort wrote:
About 5 years ago there was a coworker praising his shinny mac-n-crack, i finally said i could built the same system for half the cost, he didn't believe it, we bet $20, I looked up the specs on his $2200 system, it was a i7, 16bg, and two video cards, the brand new shinny mac was using two 4 year old videos cards, lol, I pieced together a better system for $600, i took his $20, he could not believe it. After being burned for the cost of the mac, he said he only used the installed programs, i told him, he could of got by with a $300 pc.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 02 2020 3:10am

Is there any special version on the x5675 cpu I should buy or any $20 version will do?

My stock i7-920 shows 4900 on passmark, thats at the stock 2.66ghz, a decade ago (lol) I had it up to 3.9ghz w/o adding voltage, but the games back then did not need it, so I been running it stock, curious what it would get at 3.9ghz on passmark?

I was going to try a m.2 drive, 250 or 500gb, bast bang for buck, links?

Also looking at the x99 boards/combos, the x99-tf looks like the best one, paired with the 2689 v3, suggestions?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000440 ... b201603_55

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Feb 04 2020 3:28am

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 02 2020 3:10am
Is there any special version on the x5675 cpu I should buy or any $20 version will do?

My stock i7-920 shows 4900 on passmark, thats at the stock 2.66ghz, a decade ago (lol) I had it up to 3.9ghz w/o adding voltage, but the games back then did not need it, so I been running it stock, curious what it would get at 3.9ghz on passmark?

I was going to try a m.2 drive, 250 or 500gb, bast bang for buck, links?

Also looking at the x99 boards/combos, the x99-tf looks like the best one, paired with the 2689 v3, suggestions?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000440 ... b201603_55
Probably any x5675 will do, there is probably around a ~50% chance that the more you pay for your X5675 the nicer the CPU chip will look aesthetically, and probably around ~25% increase in chance it will work better.
But I am just guessing, but that's how my probabilities would imagine it.

Don't know or really have an opinion on the other stuff. Cheers
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 12 2020 11:28am

I am loving the xeon e5-2689/32gb/rx580 system I just put together on win10, it has a 480gb SSD, but I think for $68 I am going to try the M.2 512gb ssd
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000116 ... 5ekfT&mp=1

After reading tomshardware, the speed and price of this drive is hard to beat. I am 50+ now, been repairing PC's to component level since the IBM-XT came out :shock: Win10 is basically free (~$5 keys on ebay, or just dont activate it)

I am still itching to try the 2689-v3 (passmark ~18,000, 12core/24thread) and the x99-FT motherboard combo, i can easily sell the current setup to a friend.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000440 ... b201603_53

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Feb 13 2020 1:18am

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 12 2020 11:28am
I am loving the xeon e5-2689/32gb/rx580 system I just put together on win10, it has a 480gb SSD, but I think for $68 I am going to try the M.2 512gb ssd
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000116 ... 5ekfT&mp=1

After reading tomshardware, the speed and price of this drive is hard to beat. I am 50+ now, been repairing PC's to component level since the IBM-XT came out :shock: Win10 is basically free (~$5 keys on ebay, or just dont activate it)

I am still itching to try the 2689-v3 (passmark ~18,000, 12core/24thread) and the x99-FT motherboard combo, i can easily sell the current setup to a friend.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000440 ... b201603_53
I like the speed test comparison of that chart of that Aliexpress listing has put up, it shows the mechanical-harddrive vs the m2-ssd with the real-world performance showing 1.233MB/sec vs 437.3MB/sec on non-sequential reads of the HDD mechanical drive.
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ORFzVhTp ... 2wXXaE.jpg
Image
That 1.233MB/sec vs 437.3MB/sec shows the SSD drive performance 354 x times faster than a standard mechanical hard drive for real-world performance scenarios.
Some people just don't understand that looking at a sequential read speed of a mechanical HD is pointless and misleading, because the only time it mattered was the very first boot of a fresh installation of MS Windows... It only takes one single OS update where the updated DLLs/OS files were larger than the previous files hence causing those files to be allocated somewhere else on the hard drive causing fragmentation, hence 1.233MB/sec read speeds since it's now down to random read performance instead of sequential, only vinal record players have perfect sequential reads.

For the last 10 years now so many tech sites/articles have claimed that moving from mechanical storage to SSD increases your average read data speeds by as much as 10,000 times and by 100s of times at a minimum.
It's hard for the human mind to conceptualize this, so imagine earing 500x times more money than you do now, or living 500 times longer than you will, that's like living for 5000 years.

Mechanical hard drives were the main perpetrator of a perfect wicked and evil business model for Microsoft/Intel/PC builders because it only took a month before most folks on their mechanical hard drive PCs would say: "boy this thing is slow, I need to buy a whole new PC again.."

There are still folks out there using mechanical hard drives for OS/Software usage instead of merely just for video/archival purposes, it's a tragic story of the first world, all the invisible suffering, just as bad as sugar/junk food. There really should be a "World SSD and no more mechanical hard drive day", let's end the suffering!

While that Aliexpress SSD drive looks fine, I don't think saving $10 etc is worth it compared to just buying locally, because you get incredibly convenient warranty buying locally. You only want to use Aliexpress on standout bargains like 8core CPUs and 32GB ram etc at a fraction of the price locally, that's a no brainer, but not really worth it for other stuff.

I have long been an MSY fan, they not so insanely cheap any more but they have an instant and very convenient all in one price PDF has been a long favourite of mine to check, its been the same format for 15years!
http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

With that 12core CPU deal, I been thinking the future might be looking good for old server hardware repurposed for desktop usage, because the trend for AMD/Intel lately has been to release these super mega core CPUs that still run at rather lowish clock speeds, check out the new AMD Threadripper 3990X, it has 64 CPU cores running at base 2.9Ghz and turbo of 4.3Ghz
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/am ... 90x-review
CPUs like this should help push game developers to concentrate of making games that make use of ALL the CPU cores instead of being lazy coders and trying to rely on just ~3 CPU cores with a high IPC that are running at a higher Mhz, coding for high IPC instead of utilizing many CPU cores is code mindset of 15years ago.

This is what makes programs like Cinebench so great, because it shows you how much computing performance you can get out of a 6+ core CPU if its coded to take advantage of more threads/cores.

If game developers code games like how Cinebench runs, then CPUs from 10 years ago with 6+ cores will work great in future games with combined with a modern graphics card. Even the PCIe 2.0 bus is yet to be saturated, so PCIe v3 video cards in old motherboards do perform the same https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/pci-exp ... ce-gain/4/
Last edited by TheBeastie on Feb 17 2020 6:40am, edited 3 times in total.
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Feb 13 2020 8:38pm

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 12 2020 11:28am
I am still itching to try the 2689-v3 (passmark ~18,000, 12core/24thread) and the x99-FT motherboard combo, i can easily sell the current setup to a friend.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000440 ... b201603_53
I was just watching the YouTube video from "tech yes city" and he has a new review of an old Xeon and talks about how he is going to release some videos about how to unlock the multiplier for his "6 Core E5-2620 V3" with an X99 motherboard, but interestingly this setup requires DDR4 ram, which is a value downside.
Apparently there is an exploit where you take out a CPU microcode-update, once the CPU micro-code is removed it allows you to install a driver where you can set your OWN CPU max multiplier, allowing for overclocking. Only on very specific CPUs and via a specific setup. Hopefully, folks find more types of microcode CPU multiplier hacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ox0cirdP3k


This site has a great "price history" chart where you can see this CPU has been about $400 for the last 6 years, so no point/value, but now in the last few months the arse has completely fallen out of it in price. I guess massive datacenter upgrades and turfing these out and they are hitting the reseller market making them better value.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2418
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 14 2020 1:37pm

While that Aliexpress SSD drive looks fine, I don't think saving $10 etc is worth it compared to just buying locally,
I went back and forth on buying off newegg/tiger-direct, but to get similar speeds, the 512 drive was way more than $10, but I may have missed the deal your talking about?

The high end samsung drives have great spec's but are pricey.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 15 2019 8:40pm

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Feb 15 2020 1:02pm

TheBeastie wrote:
Feb 13 2020 1:18am
With that 12core CPU deal, I been thinking the future might be looking good for old server hardware repurposed for desktop usage, because the trend for AMD/Intel lately has been to release these super mega core CPUs that still run at rather lowish clock speeds, check out the new AMD Threadripper 3990X, it has 64 CPU cores running at base 2.9Ghz and turbo of 4.3Ghz
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483/am ... 90x-review
CPUs like this should help push game developers to concentrate of making games that make use of ALL the CPU cores instead of being lazy coders and trying to rely on just ~3 CPU cores with a high IPC that are running at a higher Mhz, coding for high IPC instead of utilizing many CPU cores is code mindset of 15years ago.
It's could be due to RISC-V architecture; Linus Tech Tips has a great video on the implications that it could be a (finally!) replacement for X86. I never knew that X86 basically plays musical chairs with processors instead of assigning specific tasks to each one. The other reason is just due to efficiency and power consumption.

We've begun to see cheap motherboards out of China that use Server processors and memory for simple machines- Word is, lots of Russians are making their gaming PCs that way using cheap DDR3 to get 1080p systems with minimal cost, thanks to the Rubel doing so poorly.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 15 2020 6:36pm

The bang for buck is awesome on that 6 Core E5-2620 V3 $20 cpu (passmark 10,000), the $52 cpu e5-2689 does 13,500 on passmark, not bad for $30 more and using low cost ecc server memory, but I did see on newegg yesterday shellshocker, ddr4 3200 16gb (2x8gb) for low $60's, so that helps a lot.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 15 2019 8:40pm

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Feb 15 2020 7:30pm

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 15 2020 6:36pm
The bang for buck is awesome on that 6 Core E5-2620 V3 $20 cpu (passmark 10,000), the $52 cpu e5-2689 does 13,500 on passmark, not bad for $30 more and using low cost ecc server memory, but I did see on newegg yesterday shellshocker, ddr4 3200 16gb (2x8gb) for low $60's, so that helps a lot.
Have you seen the Optiplex builds, by chance? You can now make a 1080p 60FPS Gaming PC for about $300 from used office parts, if you're lucky.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 15 2020 8:15pm

Yes on Linus Tech tips, they had some trouble but finally got it working. BTW, I hate Dell and their crappy proprietary junk (case/motherboard/psu/etc), actually all the, compaq/gateway/etc proprietary stuff, lol.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 15 2019 8:40pm

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Feb 16 2020 11:58am

The 3010, 7010 and 9010 actually aren't- it's the 9020 ect. that use proprietary power connectors on the MoBos.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 16 2020 2:42pm

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING wrote:
Feb 16 2020 11:58am
The 3010, 7010 and 9010 actually aren't- it's the 9020 ect. that use proprietary power connectors on the MoBos.
I dont know the model numbers, but at work they toss pc's right and left, mostly dell's, from my experience, the psu/motherboard/case are all proprietary junk, why, proprietary = profit.
For example, if a dell psu dies, you cant pull a standard atx psu and install it, it wont fit (most times its too big, or their MB, they dont fit in any normal case/quite a few of them are low profile, so normal pci/e cards wont fit/etc

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 15 2019 8:40pm

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Feb 16 2020 3:52pm

No question; those -10 series have really just hit the aftermarket so heavily BECAUSE they can be so easily modded by cheap newbies looking for the "5.3LS of computers". Cheap i7 that's easily OC-ed? Yes please!

Anyway, I'm looking to either use one of those OR this little free workstation PC as a learner for Linux OS'es soon. I'm thinking of starting with either Mint or Unbutu; any advice?

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 16 2020 11:52pm

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING wrote:
Feb 16 2020 3:52pm
Cheap i7 that's easily OC-ed? Yes please!
How do you OC a dell i7 or anything Dell for that matter, the bios is still so pathetic, just curious?
I'm thinking of starting with either Mint or Unbutu; any advice?
I am not a linux guy (I did try ultimate edition and semi liked it, but not really enough time on it to be efficient). There has been some recommendations in this thread, i think it has to do with what your goals are going to be, hopefully a linux guy will chime in.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 17 2020 1:15am

--Oz-- wrote:
Jan 27 2020 10:30pm
I found my notes on my Asus P6x58-e-pro with i7-980x/24gb/gtx480, trying win10 (v1709 two years ago) it randomly bsod (nothing like the bsod on i7-920 every hour). The i7-980x bsod gave "whea.unrecoverable.error". When I have time I will try the latest version of windows. I am going to need a psu as i robbed it for the new xeon.
UPDATE: Took a new 480gb ssd, loaded the latest 1909 win10, a couple reboots and all drivers are loaded, and the same "whea.unrecoverable.error" bsod started happening.
I swapped the video card, loaded driver, and same,
swapped different ram, and then even down to just one stick,
even lowered the 1600 speed to 1333 and then 1033,
I started disabling onboard functions that I am not using (1394, serial port, etc),
then I disabled hyperthreading,
turning off any auto settings in bios,
Running stock freq settings, no OC.
Cpu is cold at under 50C, has huge heatsink/fan on it.
All the same bsod every 20 minutes or less.

Looking at win10 site, they say"
1. MBR or system file error. It boots fine every time, not sure what to do on this one?
2. BCD error.
3. Driver issue of hardware. I am using all win10 loaded drivers, so maybe this is the problem. Soon i will load all the drivers from Asus for my MB.

Suggestions?

UPDATE: there is only one driver in the Asus Win10 support page, its for the realtek audio, loaded it, rebooted and with in 2 minutes bsod, help, lol.
Last edited by --Oz-- on Feb 17 2020 8:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 15 2019 8:40pm

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Feb 17 2020 8:15am

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 16 2020 11:52pm
CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING wrote:
Feb 16 2020 3:52pm
Cheap i7 that's easily OC-ed? Yes please!
How do you OC a dell i7 or anything Dell for that matter, the bios is still so pathetic, just curious?
It depends on what MoBo you get, but tons of them weren't Dell-specific; some were subcontracted to Asus, Gigabyte, ect. so some you can reflash other BIOS to them to gain more control, provided you have the product code. I think Asus did have their own version, but don't quote me.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 17 2020 6:09pm

On a side note, I bought a used Lenovo Yoga 15" (250ssd/16gb) for $100, mainly for satellite tracking with my scopes (lx200gps-14" and rcx400-12"). Here is the kicker, its a i7 that is a dual core (4 threads), wth, lol. It is a battery miser so that makes sense.

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Feb 17 2020 9:17pm

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 17 2020 1:15am
--Oz-- wrote:
Jan 27 2020 10:30pm
I found my notes on my Asus P6x58-e-pro with i7-980x/24gb/gtx480, trying win10 (v1709 two years ago) it randomly bsod (nothing like the bsod on i7-920 every hour). The i7-980x bsod gave "whea.unrecoverable.error". When I have time I will try the latest version of windows. I am going to need a psu as i robbed it for the new xeon.
UPDATE: Took a new 480gb ssd, loaded the latest 1909 win10, a couple reboots and all drivers are loaded, and the same "whea.unrecoverable.error" bsod started happening.
I swapped the video card, loaded driver, and same,
swapped different ram, and then even down to just one stick,
even lowered the 1600 speed to 1333 and then 1033,
I started disabling onboard functions that I am not using (1394, serial port, etc),
then I disabled hyperthreading,
turning off any auto settings in bios,
Running stock freq settings, no OC.
Cpu is cold at under 50C, has huge heatsink/fan on it.
All the same bsod every 20 minutes or less.

Looking at win10 site, they say"
1. MBR or system file error. It boots fine every time, not sure what to do on this one?
2. BCD error.
3. Driver issue of hardware. I am using all win10 loaded drivers, so maybe this is the problem. Soon i will load all the drivers from Asus for my MB.

Suggestions?

UPDATE: there is only one driver in the Asus Win10 support page, its for the realtek audio, loaded it, rebooted and with in 2 minutes bsod, help, lol.
Try swapping power supply, this seems to be the biggest thing for unstable systems apparently (well at least new systems).
I would also bump CPU/IO voltages across the board...Doesn't matter that its not overlocked, something is not working properly so try fixing it with more voltage. You got a premium MB you should be able to do that.
Like I said on my X58 motherboard I run the core CPU voltages past the "yellow" color, then past the purple color until its red voltages, and it runs fine. I would push everything up including PCIe slots etc up two "page up/+" voltage notches. And then see how it goes, and I would keep going if it's still not stable until almost everything is at least in "yellow" voltage colour.

Try cleaning memory/gfx card slot pins/CPU pins.
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 18 2020 2:02am

You are definitely on to something! An hour or two before your post i was disabling the kitchen sink in bios, same bsod. Then i lowered the bclk from 133 to 100mhz, and the multiplier from 25 to 20 (the core went from 3.3ghz to 2.0ghz and ran fine for a hour running passmark! I been slowly re-enabling the kitchen sink (including hyperthreads) and re-passmarking it, still running fine, then i put the mem bclk back to 133mhz and fine, been inching up the multiplier, at this time I am back up to 23x (3.07ghz) and fine (in the little amount i time i am running the benchmark), but pretty stoked right now, making forward progress. I just reset the bias to optimized defaults, then lowered cpu from 25 to 23x and testing now. I think your correct, it needs more voltage to run at stock speeds. I got this mb/cpu/mem used, and they were OC'ing it, how hard and how long, IDK, so maybe now its marginal on stock voltage. FYI, this is another psu unit, since i stole the corsair cx750 psu for my other build.

When overvolting, are adjusting 0.1V increments and retest or (its been so long since I messed with adjusting voltage)?

I should of listened to you awhile ago, you mentioned the same thing, but at that time the system was not put together and able to test it. I also have the x5675 coming i can test, could not pass it up for $19 lol, thanks for that info too.

Another hour of testing after I went back to stock freq (25x ratio) and zero bsod, good grief, lol.

User avatar
--Oz--   10 W

10 W
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 04 2019 8:23am

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by --Oz-- » Feb 19 2020 11:41am

Figures, it ran for 5 hours looping passmark last night on stock freq (3.3ghz) without ever bsod.
I think I am going to try a better/harder cpu test, like prime95 or any suggestions?

User avatar
TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1994
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

Post by TheBeastie » Feb 20 2020 3:48am

--Oz-- wrote:
Feb 19 2020 11:41am
Figures, it ran for 5 hours looping passmark last night on stock freq (3.3ghz) without ever bsod.
I think I am going to try a better/harder cpu test, like prime95 or any suggestions?
I like to test with OCCT.
https://www.ocbase.com/

But I don't really like to stress test my PC much more than 5minutes as I am afraid I will burn it out, doing these types of tests are far more stressful than even just gaming with all the settings maxed out. If I can play my games ok then it's good enough for me, but if I was going to sell my PC it would probably have to take those tougher tests.

This guys cleaning methods look pretty good on used hardware, I never tried them my self but it looks like that spray he uses is sold in Australia and cleans a lot of gunk out of the motherboard etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlKoIk4d1w


His older video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qY59VrVS4


On the subject of YouTube videos and downloading/running software from people you dont know, I have been watching this guys videos on TV manufacturer industry "FOMO on tech".
His main channel just got hacked the other week and now the channel has been renamed to push dodgy crypto coin by its new controllers.

The original channel owner details what happened here, he kind of rambles for the first 8 minutes then starts into the interesting details of how he was hacked... https://youtu.be/3jWH7cedgiQ?t=479
, basically, during a time when he was getting many advertisers contacting him to advertise products/software on his Youtube channel, some dodgy hackers acted like another software company wanting to advertise and sent some custom coded malicious/spyware software and stole all his passwords and stole his channel and probably sold his 14k subscribers to some dodgy bitcoin advertizer.

You can see he here on his original channel the "About" section talks about TVs/Home theatre, but the rest of the channel has been renamed to talk about crypto-coin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqHuvv ... BnSA/about
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

Post Reply