Holding your pants and your battery...

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
ColinC   10 mW

10 mW

Holding your pants and your battery...

Post by ColinC » Jan 30 2020 1:44pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to use a belt to secure a frame-mounted battery, but thought I would share this one which seems to work well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S2 ... UTF8&psc=1 is the belt off Amazon. The thing I like about it is that it has just the right amount of elastic "stretch" to be cinched up nice and tight, and the buckle is beefy and holds the webbing in place. I've been on a couple of rides with it off-road/off-trail and it didn't slip one bit. I did cut off that longer 'tail' with just enough to tuck beneath the wiring to keep in place. It's just serving as "backup" right now (and to limit movement a bit I suppose) since the mount has been just fine/secure so far, but nice "insurance" to have...
Attachments
BeltBatterysmall.jpg
BeltBatterysmall.jpg (232.1 KiB) Viewed 910 times

torker   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Holding your pants and your battery...

Post by torker » Jan 30 2020 2:21pm

:bigthumb: Simple an effective. I have done the same thing. My batt hangs off the bottom of my top tube. I want to build a aluminium mount fastened with more rivnuts /add more. Or weld it to the frame and bolt my batt to it.
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 36 v x 20 amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 48v x 30 amps

HK12K   10 kW

10 kW

Post by HK12K » Jan 30 2020 3:31pm

Strange that it'll keep your pants in place and keep them from sagging, but has no appreciable effect on battery sag while still keeping it in place. :?

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 30 2020 7:15pm

HK12K wrote:
Jan 30 2020 3:31pm
but has no appreciable effect on battery sag while still keeping it in place. :?
just needs to be made of interwoven metals and slathered with the right electrolyte...then a couple alligator clip jumper wires and you're good. ;)

hypertoric_amplituhedron   100 W

100 W

Post by hypertoric_amplituhedron » Jan 30 2020 7:20pm

I've been using endless loop ratchet straps on my builds, since I transfer 2 batteries between 3 ebikes all the time. The ratchet is a little bulky, but very effective at getting anything attached to anything.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102372

Got them on amazon prime :

https://www.amazon.com/PowerTye-Easy-Gr ... W0JD3RE4GF

There are two types of people in this world.

1. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

HK12K   10 kW

10 kW

Post by HK12K » Jan 30 2020 7:21pm

amberwolf wrote:
Jan 30 2020 7:15pm
HK12K wrote:
Jan 30 2020 3:31pm
but has no appreciable effect on battery sag while still keeping it in place. :?
just needs to be made of interwoven metals and slathered with the right electrolyte...then a couple alligator clip jumper wires and you're good. ;)
I wonder if nylon can be tinned? :lol:

jpacadd   10 mW

10 mW

Post by jpacadd » Jan 30 2020 7:44pm

torker wrote:
Jan 30 2020 2:21pm
:bigthumb: Simple an effective. I have done the same thing. My batt hangs off the bottom of my top tube. I want to build a aluminium mount fastened with more rivnuts /add more. Or weld it to the frame and bolt my batt to it.
Tricky part is getting the drill in there, depending on frame shape. I used my electric impact driver and a step drill, much more compact combination than my regular drill and a bit so I was able to put more rivnuts much higher on the frame, never noticed any banging even on way too rough offroad I've done a few times.
July 2019 first build: 2009 Giant Trance X3 with stock BBSHD 52V
Next build: Just bought used 2009 Giant Trance X4, likely BBSHD also, maybe hotter controller/battery, undecided
Lots of other fun toys: Wildcat X, Xtrainer, 1978 KE100, Hypermotard 1100

torker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by torker » Jan 30 2020 10:15pm

Mine is on an old fsr. So it is really hanging under the frame,with nothing under it😬
Also my bottle screws made the battery really low.
Always a work in progress.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 30 2020 11:21pm

Too easy for theft.
Use multiple hose clamps and round off the corners on the bolt and epoxy the slot.
Then hide the hose clamp under some black duct tape.
Then some black zip ties to fool them bastids.

Get a black sharpie and paint over the white Unit Pack Power print.

How do you like the mud guard zip tied to the down bar?
I prefer mine to follow the wheel.

ColinC   10 mW

10 mW

Post by ColinC » Jan 31 2020 12:06am

Not many people--thieves or otherwise--where I ride ;)

Those hose clamps/elec tape sounds like a secure/stealthy solution...not real handy if you need to remove the battery though.

That mud guard is 'ok' but not great--what are using that follows your wheel as you say?
markz wrote:
Jan 30 2020 11:21pm
Too easy for theft.
Use multiple hose clamps and round off the corners on the bolt and epoxy the slot.
Then hide the hose clamp under some black duct tape.
Then some black zip ties to fool them bastids.

Get a black sharpie and paint over the white Unit Pack Power print.

How do you like the mud guard zip tied to the down bar?
I prefer mine to follow the wheel.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jan 31 2020 1:40am

Local hardware stores usually have those ratchet straps. You can have them the first day.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Jan 31 2020 8:06am

Always a good idea to back up a good mount with something.

I really have learned to trust the magnet mount on my luna pack. Incredibly strong. But I still put a stout strap on it, more for just in case the screws on the thing break, than to improve the magnetic connection.

2old   100 kW

100 kW

Post by 2old » Jan 31 2020 11:52am

I've had good luck "extra-securing" my Yamaha-equipped Haibike battery with a bicycle toe strap (Zefal seem to be the best ones). After riding pretty nasty terrain for several years, battery is still "tight".

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 31 2020 2:25pm

Just takes one

The feeling of being stolen from, when your out and about is a horrible feeling. Taking the long walk/bus/ride home.
Had my battery taken last year.
ColinC wrote:
Jan 31 2020 12:06am
Not many people--thieves or otherwise--where I ride ;)

hypertoric_amplituhedron   100 W

100 W

Post by hypertoric_amplituhedron » Jan 31 2020 7:51pm

Dauntless wrote:
Jan 31 2020 1:40am
Local hardware stores usually have those ratchet straps. You can have them the first day.
Shopped a few places, actually. Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, ... Couldn't find any of the smaller endless loop types at a store. They were all enormous and have hooks, or were a perfect size, but didn't have a ratchet system.
There are two types of people in this world.

1. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Feb 01 2020 8:21am

if its just a back up, it really doesn't need the ratchet. I found the ones that just grip it at H freight. That's what I have as my back up strap. Cut to size. It just needs to be snug enough to keep it on the bike if the screws on my mount fail.

Once, I had a ping battery fly off the back of my bike while riding off road. It flew over my head, and landed on the trail in front of me. I started using a back up of some kind that day. At least a bungee.

If you go with a ratchet type, for primary attachment, those can be modified, shortened, hooks eliminated so its just a ratchet with a perfect length strap on it. Tie the strap to the ratchet, or sew in place with nylon string type dental floss for thread. Or upholstery thread from the sewing supply place, Walmart, etc.

Robobiker   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Robobiker » Feb 01 2020 9:36pm

Gutted 550 cord - truckers hitch with 4:1 pull. I have tried straps & buckles, but they work loose.

jpacadd   10 mW

10 mW

Post by jpacadd » Feb 01 2020 10:56pm

Robobiker wrote:
Feb 01 2020 9:36pm
Gutted 550 cord - truckers hitch with 4:1 pull. I have tried straps & buckles, but they work loose.
Good post. I just googled all that, watched vids how to truckers hitch and always meant to pick up some paracord, so just bought some. Not so much for the battery mount, more for strapping box o beer to my rack lol. But also for a million other things, ordered color pattern that matches my expensive solomon hiking boot laces because they tend to get damaged stepped on by skates in the hockey locker room!
July 2019 first build: 2009 Giant Trance X3 with stock BBSHD 52V
Next build: Just bought used 2009 Giant Trance X4, likely BBSHD also, maybe hotter controller/battery, undecided
Lots of other fun toys: Wildcat X, Xtrainer, 1978 KE100, Hypermotard 1100

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Feb 02 2020 8:59am

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tr ... &FORM=VIRE

I never heard of truckers hitch. Then when I googled it, it turns out to be what I learned to use to tie canoes to the roof when I was in an explorers troop that raced canoes. That will work for sure, but it works best when there is a bit more length on the tie, so you can really pull that knot down tight and get all the stretch out of the cord or rope.

I used to carry a lot of windsurfers around, using bungees on each end of the board. But then the canoe knot on a rope in the middle to back up the tie down.

But as a back up to an already good mount, anything will work really. Dog collar with plastic buckle, bungee, etc. It just needs to be snug as a back up. That time the ping went flying, it was a tool box latch that failed, and no back up.

If its primary attachment, then get the ratchet latch strap and modify it. Then back it up too.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Feb 02 2020 10:09am

I use cutproof web nylon straps to sling my pack under the tube. Bolted to the structure. Cant cut them with a brand new utility knife, you are there for ten min trying to saw through it. Cant even cut them with scissors or snips.

They were originally used for trucking copper by the ton. Custom made for a metal company here. Even say on the label " property of XXXX" and " for XXXX Use only"...
83.1v of Ironhorse XC.. :) :bolt: by Chevy :bolt: :D Broke 10 horsies :twisted: (..about 80% healed..).. :? Anybody.. what equals √3 times the line to neutral voltage? Asking for a friend.. :| (gottenymoem4115thangs?Yall?) :confused: Fabricator @ BSECo. Inc.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Feb 02 2020 10:22am

Also, I get the straps wet before installation. They will incrementally stretch, and I fasten them to the bolt moorings. They then dry out, then pull very, very tight.

This way the humidity in the air later on in the field doesn't loosen my straps, and if they get wet they dont sag significantly.

You can make them go "twang" with a flick of the finger and it is that tight. They shrink and tighten up like a leather would, only stronger and cut resistant....

"Unlike polyester, nylon can stretch a great deal, which allows it to absorb energy. When wet, nylon fibers can lose approximately 15% of their strength. They also shrink after being wet. Nylon fiber handles a variety of weather conditions very well and is abrasion resistant."
Attachments
BBOX1.jpg
BBOX1.jpg (172.11 KiB) Viewed 663 times
83.1v of Ironhorse XC.. :) :bolt: by Chevy :bolt: :D Broke 10 horsies :twisted: (..about 80% healed..).. :? Anybody.. what equals √3 times the line to neutral voltage? Asking for a friend.. :| (gottenymoem4115thangs?Yall?) :confused: Fabricator @ BSECo. Inc.

torker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by torker » Feb 06 2020 11:09am

Never knew it was called a truckers hitch. I started using that in the 80s. I still use it. You can get it very tight and release it easily..

Still my go to for strapping in my utility trailer.

It is harder to use on something small like a battery