Did I fry my controller? Edit-FIXED

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Bobby Breathes   1 µW

1 µW

Did I fry my controller? Edit-FIXED

Post by Bobby Breathes » Jan 29 2020 10:54pm

Hi all.... I recently built my first ebike. 3000w stealth bomber clone. I was to installing the key switch and forgot to unplug the battery before starting. I had it working but I had some wires tangled up and decided to disconnect the the ground connecting to the controller and accidentally touched the ground to the hot wire(rookie move). I got a quick spark and now I can't get it to power on. Did I fry my controller? something else?
Last edited by Bobby Breathes on Jan 30 2020 2:14am, edited 1 time in total.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Did I fry my controller?

Post by amberwolf » Jan 30 2020 12:36am

if the ground and hot wire are the ones to the battery, then it's probably blown it's internal fuse, if it has one. if it doesn't, it may have blown it's bms fets. you'd have to open it up to check, if there's no voltage on it's output.

if the ground and hot wire are the ones to the ocntroller, and the battery was not connected at all when this happened, then there should be nothing wrong, unless there is a fuse in either hot or ground wire to the controller, which could be blown.

you'll have to give specific details and wiring along with what actually touched what, for more specific answers than those guesses.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Did I fry my controller?

Post by markz » Jan 30 2020 1:08am

If your lucky, its a fuse.
If your not so lucky, its a fet.
If your not lucky, its time to fish. How much was the controller you bought? How much is your time worth to you? How much is it to buy a new controller? Maybe buy a cheap controller? Since I got the website open from another post, https://evfittinggreentime.aliexpress.c ... 18ccGmBily

Bobby Breathes   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Did I fry my controller? Edit-FIXED

Post by Bobby Breathes » Jan 30 2020 2:16am

I think I just had some faulty wire... I rewired a questionable connection and it working again. Thanks for the help!

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Did I fry my controller? Edit-FIXED

Post by markz » Jan 30 2020 11:34pm

Bobby Breathes wrote:
Jan 30 2020 2:16am
I think I just had some faulty wire... I rewired a questionable connection and it working again. Thanks for the help!
Jeeesh I hate when that happens.
I have an iffy throttle that acts up in the rain. Will go wide open throttle when the throttle is suppose to be off, then when I turn the throttle on it will cut the power to the motor. I just blow on the connectors to dry it out but I can usually work with the oddity of the throttle and still ride.