Chevy Volt individual Cells FOR SALE. 10C 15Ah

Got something to sell? Have extra parts that need a good home? Have something that others would need to complete their kits? Post it up here and see if anyone else is searching for what you are selling.
999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Chevy Volt individual Cells FOR SALE. 10C 15Ah

Post by 999zip999 » Mar 11 2019 7:13pm

Now just ride normally and don't make every ride a test ride up the steepest Mountain or ride to the very bottom of the pack as the rule. Just learn it.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Mar 17 2019 11:18am

999zip999 wrote:
Mar 11 2019 7:13pm
Now just ride normally and don't make every ride a test ride up the steepest Mountain or ride to the very bottom of the pack as the rule. Just learn it.

Yeah, I know. It is hard. I like bikes. My BBS02 shredded its Nylon on 14s, using these batteries. the other day. 10 miles into a 15 mile ride.

Guess who still knows how to pedal.

Im out of order for a little, but I am working on the fix. Way I see it, either my batteries are really strong, or Bafang is junk. I would like to think my batteries are strong, and Bafang is not junk, of course. This was with 14 cells in series. 100% start current though. I was moving @ 20mph when the gear shredded up a 10% grade.

In the meanwhile, I decided to figure out the force I use to punch and crimp my "C-Tap" style connections... I thought about putting a 1" hydrolic cyl. under the press and a gauge, to measure the actual force, but instead I just looked up my Arbor online.. And found out that I use about 1.5-2 TONS ( maybe even more) of force when crimping through all four layers. About 3200lbs. Makes for good contact and a good joint. They do cling strong even without the rivets.

Alot of demand for these batteries. It is getting hard to keep up. I try to get to everybody. Raygos battery will be done in a few days ( waiting on heatshrink again. ) Nobody seems to know they exist, and everyone wants a turnkey solution. I like my "(X)s" configuration, it is simple and strong. Plus , well you know, Chevy. Nuff said. People like domestic products. Even if they are used. Plus with all the 6v overcharge data and overdischarge data, high charge rates, they beat any 18650 IMO.
83.1v of Ironhorse XC.. :) :bolt: by Chevy :bolt: :D Broke 10 horsies :twisted: (..about 80% healed..).. :? Anybody.. what equals √3 times the line to neutral voltage? Asking for a friend.. :| (gottenymoem4115thangs?Yall?) :confused: Fabricator @ BSECo. Inc.

RayGo1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by RayGo1 » Mar 18 2019 10:50pm

I seem to remember that the BBS02 required maintenance after about 1,000 miles of use. That plastic gear needed to be repacked with grease. I'm thinking that I should do that since I started to hear a bit of a grinding noise when I last engaged the BBS02 and I have over a 1,000 miles on the unit. The BBS02 was previously very quiet, almost stealth-like.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Mar 19 2019 6:13pm

83.1v of Ironhorse XC.. :) :bolt: by Chevy :bolt: :D Broke 10 horsies :twisted: (..about 80% healed..).. :? Anybody.. what equals √3 times the line to neutral voltage? Asking for a friend.. :| (gottenymoem4115thangs?Yall?) :confused: Fabricator @ BSECo. Inc.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Mar 19 2019 8:53pm

Learning the BBSO2. Yea I loved my muxus 28mm first day it melted. It took 4 weeks to melt muxus 3,000 5t. Two weeks to melt my edge 1,500. Keeping my new muxus 3,000 4t turbo running for 1 year. Its a learning process. I too think it's my batteries fault. Dam batteries.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Mar 30 2019 8:48am

999zip999 wrote:
Mar 19 2019 8:53pm
Learning the BBSO2. Yea I loved my muxus 28mm first day it melted. It took 4 weeks to melt muxus 3,000 5t. Two weeks to melt my edge 1,500. Keeping my new muxus 3,000 4t turbo running for 1 year. Its a learning process. I too think it's my batteries fault. Dam batteries.
I think i got it back together. Working for now, had a little one-way slipping, and a little thunky clonking... ( it took a surface grind to stop the rotor from walking to the point of rubbing... lol).

It works. Lowered the start cvurrent, the amps, and switched to current mode not speed mode. Less power, but drive seems happy. I would think that it needs a new rotor or a new case, for I bent something... But it is working for now.

However, I have new cells to play with. Testing now. Kia 8s modules: More LGCHEM

Kia modules are compliments of GreenTecAuto, a large auto recycler who is letting me test some of his "EV compromised " cells that he receives... Even though they require complete dis-sassy and testing, I think they have alot of potential. Check out his stuff some time.

Raygo1, your battery should be delivered on Monday. I look forward to any reviews you can give it here, criticism being positive or not. Ty. -Jp

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Mar 30 2019 6:19pm

What no info. Sizes and ah. Minimum. Lol.

stevecahill   1 W

1 W

Post by stevecahill » Apr 05 2019 7:20am

Following, Nice battery builds. What controller are you using on your BBSO2 ?

What is your opinion on why these batteries are better than 18650's?
Regards
Steve

RayGo1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by RayGo1 » Apr 07 2019 8:57pm

I got my 36v battery from here on April 1st. The pack looks exactly as in the above photos and is very well built. My only initial dislike is that the 10 gauge lead wires are stiff solid core, not flexible silicone wire. This makes for a tight fit for the battery pack in my rear rack bag. I was originally planning on putting 2 of these batteries in parallel in my rack bag for a whopping 30 Ah for a real long (100+ mile) future ride on the Santa Ana Bike Trail. So doubling up the lead wires on my pack only made the fit harder.

My 12s 36v battery is actually made up of two 6s battery packs as shown. I connected the 2 6s packs in series and got 46.0v. I used my CellLogs to check the cell balance and they nicely came in at under 20mv of each other. I installed the battery on my hybrid road bike with its 36v 500w Bafang BBS02 mid-drive system. The system turned on but then gave me an Error Code 7 for Overvoltage. It turns out I exceeded the High Voltage Cutoff HVC of the unit. I used my charger to drain the pack down to 43.2v and now the BBS02 runs well.

It turns out that my old A123 battery pack is LiFePO4 and this new LG P1 battery pack is Li-Ion. The max charging voltage for LiFePO4 cells is 3.6v or 12 times 3.6v equals 43.2v for the 12s pack. The max charging voltage for Li-Ion cells is 4.1v or 12 times 4.1v equals 49.2v for the two 6s packs. Unfortunately, I exceeded the HVC of my BBS02 500w system which is about 43.2v. I was unable to google the exact HVC value but plan to experiment to determine the HVC cutoff value.

I think this problem only affects those bikers with this older BBS02 36v 500w system. I don't think owners of BBS02 48v units will have this problem with the HVC. DogDipStick is running a 48v Bafang unit with no problems.

I plan to take the bike out for some test rides shortly to get an idea of the mileage I can get out of this battery. However, it is a shame that I cannot charge this battery to its max capacity for maximum distance.

When my old A123 battery pack died, I was considering several options. It turns out 4 of my A123 cells went bad after about 4+ years. Two cells puffed up badly, one leaked and one just died. I plan to post more details and photos later about the A123 cells. So one plan was to replace the 4 bad A123 cells. Prices in the US were "expensive" and A123 cells from China were cheaper at around $15 each but required minimum orders of about 10 cells and shipping was extra. So I decided I would try other lithium batteries such as Turnigy LiPo when I came across these LG P1 cells. Even though these are salvaged from Volt car batteries, I preferred dealing with DogDipStick here in the US rather than overseas. Using LiPo batteries may also cause the same HVC cutoff problem for me since those cells can be charged to 4.2v each.

One other issue I am dealing with is the fact that this 36v battery is actually two 6s packs in series. I have a Thunder 1220 charger which can balance or bulk charge a true 12s battery pack. However, it appears I cannot balance charge this pack as a 36v battery due to the setup of the balance wires. I can bulk charge this pack as a 36v battery but it appears I can only balance charge each 6s pack separately. I should be trying a 6s balance charge shortly once I take the bike out for a ride and drain down the pack.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Apr 07 2019 11:36pm

RayGo1 wrote:
Apr 07 2019 8:57pm
However, it is a shame that I cannot charge this battery to its max capacity for maximum distance.
Well, a 36v pack is normally about 42v fully charged, so it's reasonable to expect a system intended to be used on 36v to work up to that voltage, and not much beyond it (components used in the system may not all be able to handle much more than that, so a safety cutoff to prevent issues with reliability is reasonable).

However...you might be able to use one of the converters (WangD?) like Wturber is using. Check his posts for his thread about them; I think he's using a lower voltage pack with a higher voltage bike, but the opposite should be possible as well, with some loss of capacity because of inefficiencies but possibly less loss than not being able to fully charge?

However, it appears I cannot balance charge this pack as a 36v battery due to the setup of the balance wires.
That's easy to fix by making a Y-cable to merge the two separate balance wire bundles into one. The only thing normally necessary is to merge the most positive wire of the most negative half of the pack with the most negative wire of the most positive half of the pack, assuming that's the same as pack positive of the one pack, and pack negative of the other.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Apr 08 2019 9:22am

RayGo1 wrote:
Apr 07 2019 8:57pm
I installed the battery on my hybrid road bike with its 36v 500w Bafang BBS02 mid-drive system. The system turned on but then gave me an Error Code 7 for Overvoltage. It turns out I exceeded the High Voltage Cutoff HVC of the unit. I used my charger to drain the pack down to 43.2v and now the BBS02 runs well.
The workaround for that is to install a TVS diode in series with the pack voltage wire going to the display unit (brown wire). It can be installed anywhere along the line, but is most tidy when installed inside the controller compartment. The TVS diode acts as a voltage dropper to keep the voltage below the cutoff point. You need about 6v of 'drop' to use your 12s pack at full charge.

There is topic around somewhere with details on this. Downside is the battery meter won't be accurate anymore.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Apr 08 2019 6:35pm

Ask lunar cycle and get on there website ebikecom or something. Or open her up and look at the caps or something's. What year ?

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Apr 08 2019 6:38pm

Hey Raygo1 maybe make a thread in the general ebike thread. May you can chet and have your voltage and battery gauge work.
Maybe more response

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Apr 09 2019 7:21am

999zip999 wrote:
Mar 30 2019 6:19pm
What no info. Sizes and ah. Minimum. Lol.
LG Chem LGXV4-2 Cells. From a Kia ( unknown as of yet).

9.5 x 4.75 x .2 inch

233g. Ea

IR 1.5mOh-2mOh stable repeated.

4Ah in on average, 3.95 Ah out on average.

Datalog coming. ( will update)

32 available as of now. Make offer, if you are interested until I see what I can get from them. I can get more too, alot more. Less than 8$ ea, that is for sure. Im thinking in the 6$ range ea. Like I said, Data to come. You could build an incredibly thin pack with these ( eSk8?). Of the 32 I have, only 6 were vetoed ( test failed) for puffing. You can have these for half price if you like. So 28 good ones, 6 iffy ones.

Ray Thank you for posting here. I will address the concern, but am at work.. I will update more later and send you a pm. I did just want to say hi, and that the wire is not solid. It is very strong, but is new and purchased from " The Wire Barn". Though it may feel solid, it is very strong and strain relieved. Be free to tug. It doesn't want to bend because it is so heavy duty, but I assure you you can repeatedly bend it to shape. If it is troublesome, try some heat from a heatgun to soften up the "Cross-Linked Polyethylene", the wire bends easy, the insulation is very tough. It is GXL Wire: insulation: Cross-Linked Polyethylene : Copper 19 strand. I assure you it will not break or tear like a silicone wire. I hate the weakness of silicone. You can bend it without worry, again and again. I have used my packs some time like this, and dissembled later to assess the stress. Not solid. That would be a mistake, in battery construction for this application.

GXL Wire is recommended for use in harsh, high temperature environments where high heat resistance is required as per SAE J-1128.

GXL Wire is frequently found in engine compartments, trucks, tractors, boats, buses, and general applications where high durability coupled with high heat resistance is a requirement

Recommended temperature range for GXL: -40C to +125C

I like using this for longevity. I have used silicone wire in the past and it is very weak, tears easily, and does not last much past a year. I have Hobby King lipos that I have had to throw out because of the repeated hooking and unhooking.

That being said, it does seem people like the silicone more in general, for the flexibility. I have built with silicone. However, with your first contact, that was what I was trying to integrate, and I assure you it is very strong.. be free to push the wire toward the connections in the battery, everything is very well protected and redundant.

I have many more opinions and thought I w2ould like to share, I do not min posting here or in a new thread. I'll update more on my thoughts where it comes to you " I have to much voltage " conundrum , Raygo.

stevecahill   1 W

1 W

Post by stevecahill » Apr 09 2019 7:27am

Good information about the pitfalls of silicone wire. :thumb:
Regards
Steve

RayGo1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by RayGo1 » Apr 10 2019 1:26am

Thanks for your tips, especially the Y-cable fix for the balance wires. :D

I also stand corrected on the lead wires. They are "thick" stiff strands, not a solid core wire. I will be giving them more bending for a better fit in my rack bag. However, with all the wires coming out one end, that increases that dimension from 9.75 inches to almost 11 inches. That makes for a tight fit in my rack bag. Like I said, the pack is really solidly built.

This problem of exceeding the HVC cutoff should only impact the 36v Bafang units. The 48v units have a much higher HVC and work with both 13s and 14s Li-Ion packs from my research.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Apr 10 2019 2:59am

RayGo1 wrote:
Apr 10 2019 1:26am

This problem of exceeding the HVC cutoff should only impact the 36v Bafang units. The 48v units have a much higher HVC and work with both 13s and 14s Li-Ion packs from my research.
Maybe yours isn't actually a 48v unit....

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Apr 12 2019 2:45pm

To much work but. You can run 10s and use the two cells 8v for lights ,music usb plug ect.
What's the fix for 36v system on 48v ?

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Apr 16 2019 1:57pm

RayGo1 wrote:
Apr 10 2019 1:26am

This problem... have a much higher HVC and work with both 13s and 14s Li-Ion packs from my research.
Have we figured anything out yer, RayGo1? Finding a converter that is reliable and a good value is / can be tough / expensive. Ive been looking.

On another note, It seems these cells can power a K-Weld without to much trouble. Using one 6s pack, built alongside RayGo1's, same construction and configuration, wires, materials I tested my new K-Weld I bought ( wanted one since I heard they were going to be available months ago)... They ( the LG cells) certainty seem to be able to make some current. Also, I highly recommend the K-Weld for any builder. it makes things easy and foolproof. I will be experimenting with copper weld, but have not gotten that far yet.

Figuring well, you know RayGo1, should you have problems, I could build you an normal 18650 pack next, and we could try that to keep a happy customer. ( trying to make joke here Lol.) I want to see your range, RayGo1.

All things being equal, and whatnot, the K-weld accepted this single 6s,15Ah pack as a power supply, and repeatedly welded over 100 spots in the range of 1680 amps +/- per weld, time and time again, with an input voltage of 24.9 volts.

RayGo1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by RayGo1 » Apr 16 2019 4:10pm

I hope to determine the range with this 36v battery with the "reduced" starting voltage of 43.2v shortly. First I need to get both wheels trued at my local bike shop. I'll post here soon.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Apr 25 2019 9:16am

I broke 2000 amps with my battery.

Consistently with attempts to weld copper.

My goal is to get as close to 2000A / weld, and weld very conductive metals in very short intervals. The K-welder is overcurrent protecting. I must build a smaller ( >6s) battery now to run it. It is a good test of the integrity of the battery, though. a 20ms weld @ 1850A, repeated many times. Within theory this would drain an entire (6s) 15Ah in ~ a half a min, I have been told. I consider it a repeatable success.

RayGo1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by RayGo1 » Jun 16 2019 1:23am

Good news.

The TVS Diode fix (with a breakdown voltage of 6v) now allows me to use your fully charged 36v li-ion battery pack on my Bafang BBS02 36v 500w mid-drive system. I bulk charged the battery from about 44.0v to 49.8v or 4.15v/cell, pumping in 9,123ma with an IR of 23.9ohms. I had previously inputted just over 5,000ma going from 38.4v to 44.4v. So cell capacity is over 14,000ma in these cells.

My BBS02 Low Voltage Cutoff is set to 32v which is actually about 38.4v for a safe 3.2v per cell "empty" voltage. The higher voltage of this li-ion battery over my previous lifepo4 battery makes for a much "peppier" ride so far.

I hope to give this setup a good test ride shortly.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Jun 16 2019 11:10am

Raygo1. Great nie to see E.S. work and your setup to work.Peppier ! EZ on the gears to start. I always run wot and melt things the first day. Good luck.

DogDipstick   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DogDipstick » Oct 29 2019 9:55am

Well guys, Just an update. I would like to hear from Raygo about his pack, his choice as to whether or not to post.

Personally, I have been riding these batteries for quites some while. Logged ~1100 miles on the BBS02 last season, wore out the intermediate drive one way bearing, ( problly helped by the fact that I had to tear it down last year.. :) and built this:

100A 20S 84V QS20535H on an old old Ironhorse DW Link XC ( aluminum repaired, purchased for 30$ shipped and cracked... , 7005) frame, with a 2014 RS Domain, and 19" SurRon rims, 12Ga spokes, CA3, Shunt, TCDM TQ sensor, Aux knob, 2.5" x 19" DOTstreet tires by Duro.

Pulls 2000~4000 watts from a 20s 15.5 Ah battery, all day continuously until its ded. 45Mph top speed, and enough torque to hurt you badly. Gives me better range than my BBS02, ( which is inherently the extra Wh) when limited to 20A. 20-30 miles easy @ 20mph. Consumption varies from 20Wh/mile ( best) to over 80Wh/Mi.

I datalogged the packs I made last year, again, and ZERO lost capacity compared to last years log. IR still @ 1.2-2 mOh / cell....

I am still looking to source more Volt cells in the future, after I get the taxes paid this year. Stay tuned, to all those that inquired: I thank you for the interest and am trying to find a better deal still...

StinkyGoalieGuy   100 W

100 W

Post by StinkyGoalieGuy » Oct 29 2019 12:44pm

DogDipstick wrote:
Oct 29 2019 9:55am

Pulls 2000~4000 watts from a 20s 15.5 Ah battery, all day continuously until its ded.
What kind of voltage sag do you see at 2000 and 4000 watts?