Use of inductive dryer motors in a test bed

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
kirklazarus   1 µW

1 µW

Use of inductive dryer motors in a test bed

Post by kirklazarus » Feb 02 2015 12:02pm

Hey guys,

First time poster long time reader. I'm interested in building electric cars, but I'd like to design a smaller test bed to try to solve some problems related to powering an controlling a dual motor setup and things like voltage regulation across cells etc etc. It also lets me start exploring the concepts in the limited space I have

I'd be running a very small number of batteries.

Using an inductive motor fit for a car might be overkill cost and power wise. I was thinking of using the inductive motor from a dryer in the test bed that I want to make. Has anyone tried this? I'm going to limit the power into the motors as I just need them spinning I don't need them going full bore.

Any thoughts would be appreciatd.

This is my first attempt at DIY EV stuff so I apologize if I've revealed my ignorance so quickly..I was hoping to dole it out in small installments.

-KL

e-beach   1 GW

1 GW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Re: Use of inductive dryer motors in a test bed

Post by e-beach » Feb 02 2015 9:41pm

Hey kirklazarus!!!

First things first. Please follow this instruction to get you started.
Welcome to ES 1.jpg
Welcome to ES 1.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
OK, now that that is done, this is what I think.

Building a "test bed" out of an AC dryer motor to understand how electric cars, or any other electric vehicle is fine but it is also money not used on a functional vehicle. An electric vehicle drive train is at it's most rudimentary is very simple. You have a motor, batteries, controller and throttle all wired together. Push the throttle and the motor spins (if the batteries are charged.) If you want to purchase an AC controller, batteries, charger and throttle suitable for powering the motor you too can turn a motor on your bench that doesn't do anything else besides turn on the bench.

IMO, if you want to learn about electric vehicles I would suggest a different option. Build an electric vehicle instead. Weather it is a bike, scooter or skate board or RC toy. The theory is basically the same with some not so large differences between the vehicles. Motor, controller, batteries, throttle, wiring, connectors and maybe switches and breakers.

Edit: If you just want to learn how it works, get a small 12v dc motor, some cheap batteries and a potentiometer and wire them in a circuit to see how it works. Really easy to do.

But I still think that you should build something you can ride as your test bed then go for a car!

:D
Favorite Quotes:
"This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." Chris Erskine
"At a certain point the entropy wins." Maria Helena Braga

Current Build: ProFlex 757 Expert full suspension. Yescomusa 36v 800w Rear DD, upgraded 10AWG solid core through axle phase wires. 15ah Headway, 1000+ cycles, 80% DOD 30A Tronsung controller.

Past: Trek 4500 Yescomusa 36v 800w front DD.
Liahona, Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front DD.
1992 Trek 800, Yescomusa 800w 36v front DD.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Feb 03 2015 12:17am

I agree with the above member. Dont waste time or money on a testing bench, just build.
Thats what I did. Forget about my first ebike being a 500W kit, no, forget about my first ebike kit being 1000W or 1500W.

What did I end up doing? Well instead of buying a complete used 1982 AMC Eagle 4x4 car, or a brand new fully assembled 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, I went ahead and bought the bits and pieces to a 2014 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax Diesel Dually 4x4 crew cab. Sure hopefully it will last and not burn up on my stupidity!

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Feb 03 2015 1:21am

kirklazarus wrote: I was thinking of using the inductive motor from a dryer in the test bed that I want to make.
As long as you have a nice long extension cord for it, and a few levels of gear reduction (depending on teh speed you want out of it), it might work, if it is a VERY small vehicle.

If you don't understand my reply, then if you havent' already, you'll probably want to read up on how various kinds of motors work, before you go any farther. It will save you and everyone else a lot of time. :)

The ES wiki has some info, and there is more in the Motor Technology subforum and Technical Reference subforum, first in teh stickies and then in the discussion threads.

Wikipedia also has some good articles about the different kinds, and what is needed to drive each one.

Some motors are much easier to use than others, but for a first-time DIY, AC induction motors are not my first choice. ;)

kirklazarus   1 µW

1 µW

Post by kirklazarus » Feb 03 2015 2:19am

Thanks for the advice and your time!

I think I'm going to build something I can drive after reading these posts...I'm going to read up a bit on the wiki and select a project!

-KL

dnmun   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dnmun » Feb 03 2015 3:45am

no, just study so you understand the difference between DC and AC first. it will be cheaper to buy a used electric vehicle than build one.

kirklazarus   1 µW

1 µW

Post by kirklazarus » Feb 03 2015 10:28am

dnmun wrote:no, just study so you understand the difference between DC and AC first. it will be cheaper to buy a used electric vehicle than build one.

Even at the go kart level?

It's not about value it's about learning.

e-beach   1 GW

1 GW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Feb 03 2015 11:00am

An ac electric go-cart might be fun. It would cost time and money to build though, but you would learn a lot!

:D
Favorite Quotes:
"This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." Chris Erskine
"At a certain point the entropy wins." Maria Helena Braga

Current Build: ProFlex 757 Expert full suspension. Yescomusa 36v 800w Rear DD, upgraded 10AWG solid core through axle phase wires. 15ah Headway, 1000+ cycles, 80% DOD 30A Tronsung controller.

Past: Trek 4500 Yescomusa 36v 800w front DD.
Liahona, Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front DD.
1992 Trek 800, Yescomusa 800w 36v front DD.

Bob_B   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Bob_B » Feb 15 2015 6:01pm

for some fun learning, you might try this:
http://www.powerracingseries.org

The teams take kids' electric ride on vehicles (can be as low as under $200 USD), soup them up, and race them. seems they encourage learning. I first saw Youtube vids about it from the Make channel postings about the SF MakerFaire. Looks pretty cool, and you can probably scale up that experience to bigger projects.