First explorations CA Logger overlay GoPro 2

Show off your E-bike creation here.
hjns   100 kW

100 kW

First explorations CA Logger overlay GoPro 2

Post by hjns » Jul 07 2013 4:07am

Hi all,

This is my first attempt to overlay the CA Logger information (with GPS) over a GoPro video. Based on this result, I bought the software (RaceRender 2 Ultimate) for 35 EUR. Very happy with it. Still need to figure out more interesting gauges and so forth.

Henk

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

Willow   10 kW

10 kW

Re: First explorations CA Logger overlay GoPro 2

Post by Willow » Jul 07 2013 4:24am

that's brilliant!

iovaykind   10 kW

10 kW

Post by iovaykind » Jul 07 2013 6:16am

I like it! Looked more into the app and it seems a lot more responsive with cars using it on the track, guess that's because the CA logger doesn't record as often? What setting do you have on your CA in terms of logging.. .2-.5 seconds between each reading? Try lowering it for a real time gauge look.. not sure how much space the CA logger has though.

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 07 2013 7:57am

CA logger will capture the data stream from the CA in either 1hz or 5hz. I use the 1 hz setting, so everthing gets updated once every second. See also the manual of the CA logger.

The CA logger comes with a 1GB card. Data files are typically a couple of 100kb, so it is probably enough to capture data for the rest of your life.

Now with more gauges...

(edit: youtube movie updated)
Henk

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 11 2013 5:54am

Full edited trip, 11.5 minutes. Suggestions for improvement?

Henk

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jul 11 2013 8:31am

Cool! I've been looking at similar program that does overlays like that just with GPS data but the CA stats are pretty nice.
Is your shunt accurate ? Seems like you're drawing alot of current / power for not that much speed in the first clips
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 11 2013 8:39am

Hi Hyena,

did you notice the grade? In the early clips, we are talking about a hill of 25-30%. How much current would you expect going up with 40kmh?

I calibrated my shunt against a constant current driven by my iCharger at 10.0A from ground to a phase of my controller.
Henk

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jul 11 2013 8:49am

Yeah I noticed that towards the end. I guess it was steeper than it looks. Though sometimes it looked dead flat or even slight down hill and it read 5-10%. I take it that's pulled from google maps based on the GPS location ?

Looks like your motor would have kept pulling 90 amps odd up that hill towards the start it you hadnt backed off ? I guess for a high(ish) speed wind motor that's what you'd expect. I dont have anything particularly comparable to look at. I was trying to capture the CA figures in this vid to show the motor performance but it didnt come out very well. Something like your logger and software would have been brilliant for that purpose
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 11 2013 11:03am

Hyena wrote:Yeah I noticed that towards the end. I guess it was steeper than it looks. Though sometimes it looked dead flat or even slight down hill and it read 5-10%. I take it that's pulled from google maps based on the GPS location ?
The grade percentages are derived from the location data (long, latt, alt) one second before and one second after the actual moment to filter out too large deviations in GPS data. It is calculated from the raw GPS data. The GPS data is directly from the CA Logger which has a GPS in it. The map is pulled from google maps and used as a background only with the RaceRender GPS position overlayed.
Hyena wrote:Looks like your motor would have kept pulling 90 amps odd up that hill towards the start it you hadnt backed off ? I guess for a high(ish) speed wind motor that's what you'd expect. I dont have anything particularly comparable to look at. I was trying to capture the CA figures in this vid to show the motor performance but it didnt come out very well. Something like your logger and software would have been brilliant for that purpose
Yes, that is correct, the 90A would have been limited only by the motor heating up and the CA applying the temperature-related limits on power. You can also see on the ThI and ThO bars that I did not go full throttle. Looks like your bike is able to draw similar power levels. Get the GPS-enabled CA Logger and make some nice drawings.

For anyone else who is using RaceRender 2 to visualize their CA Logging data and who likes the gauges, just pm me, and I will send you the gauges. Then again, it is relatively easy to make them yourself.
Henk

inh   1 mW

1 mW

Post by inh » Jul 12 2013 12:03am

This is really cool, thank you for sharing.

hillzofvalp   1 MW

1 MW

Post by hillzofvalp » Jul 25 2013 1:28am

Dr. Henk, You are very well rounded. edit: I'm glad the software is inexpensive.. I may have to try it.

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 25 2013 3:50am

tnx HoV.

I already received several requests for help and for the gauges.

Once I get back from my holiday, I will post my gauges here in this thread with a guide how to use them. Main assumptions are that you use the CA logger with GPS enabled, but it will work with the CA logger without GPS as well. However, this will take some tweaking, as one should then use the CA speed instead of the GPS speed to drive the gauges.
Henk

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Jul 29 2013 9:12pm

Three gauges for RaceRender attached.
Attachments
RaceRenderGauges.zip
(15.77 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Henk

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jul 29 2013 9:30pm

That is freaking awesome. I'll have to keep that in mind for creative videos. Fantastic work!

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Aug 04 2013 3:08pm

Another 11 minutes of a nice ride.... Almost killed a cat.

Henk

corim123   100 W

100 W

Post by corim123 » Aug 04 2013 3:39pm

That's some awesome footage.

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Aug 08 2013 7:28am

Received some very nice solicited feedback from Justin:
That is awesomely done Henk! I know Teklektik was also playing around with the same software for doing video overlays of CA data, but he didn't have the map trajectory and elevation data shown at the same time too. Very cool! One thing I would say is that if it's possible to do the logging and display with a 5Hz rather than 1Hz update, then the dial gauges would look more realistic. You'd want to change the "averaging" term to a value of 3 or 4 as well, since at 5 it will end up showing the same data every pair of updates.

-Justin
I will do just that and start visualizing the results. I have also started to document the rather elaborate processes to format the CA logger data in such a way that RaceRender swallows it. Once you know it, it is not very difficult. Anyway, it will take some time to compile it.
Henk

drew12345   10 kW

10 kW

Post by drew12345 » Mar 22 2014 8:09pm

hjns wrote: I will do just that and start visualizing the results. I have also started to document the rather elaborate processes to format the CA logger data in such a way that RaceRender swallows it. Once you know it, it is not very difficult. Anyway, it will take some time to compile it.
Hey hjns, I was thinking about getting the cycle analogger and racerender. You mention it's elaborate process formatting the data. Can you explain this a little more? I don't want to go this route if it's time consuming. I currently use Dashware and it's pretty simple but it's only gps info. Would like to get the info from Cycle Analyst.

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Mar 23 2014 1:49am

drew12345 wrote:Hey hjns, I was thinking about getting the cycle analogger and racerender. You mention it's elaborate process formatting the data. Can you explain this a little more? I don't want to go this route if it's time consuming. I currently use Dashware and it's pretty simple but it's only gps info. Would like to get the info from Cycle Analyst.
It is quite some work.
  1. Get a CA
  2. Get a CA logger with GPS
  3. Record a video in your favorite format
  4. Record your trip in the CA logger
  5. Convert the video in a format that Racerender can read.
  6. Import the log file into Excel
  7. Export the log file into a format that Racerender can read.
  8. Import the video and log file into Racerender
  9. Synchronize the video and log file in Racerender. Usually, the GPS is lagging behind the video, so you need to go ensure your log file starts running at the correct time in the video in Racerender
  10. Create some nice gauges to present the data in a visually satisfying manner in Racerender
  11. Export the video with the data overlay in a good quality
  12. Postproduction in your favorite NLE
Henk

drew12345   10 kW

10 kW

Post by drew12345 » Mar 23 2014 6:47am

Thanks for detailed steps.

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW

Post by nicobie » Mar 23 2014 1:23pm

When I click on any of the videos I get, "This video does not exist." :?:
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Mar 23 2014 4:03pm

Sorry, I had to remove the videos.
Henk

drew12345   10 kW

10 kW

Post by drew12345 » Mar 23 2014 6:20pm

If your looking for sample, I saw this in another thread

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 2&start=75

mauimart   100 W

100 W

Post by mauimart » Mar 23 2014 7:15pm

Here's one I did a while back. I used an Arduino and SD card to log the serial out from the CA.

drew12345   10 kW

10 kW

Post by drew12345 » Mar 23 2014 8:46pm

Very cool! I love all the stats!