E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   10 MW

10 MW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 14 2020 9:27am

My brakes are so worn out. I've never worn a set of hydraulic brakes out so badly before. These poor little MT2s are wasted. They don't leak, but they make a god awful noise, especially after they warm up. They seem to have a kind of stutter type of noise, but it's not caused by the rotors, or the pads, because I've replaced them both a couple of times. As soon as the pads seat the noise comes back. The harder I stop the louder they get. It's so damn loud now it brings my bike out of cloaking. I can't wait to fix this.

I'm thinking the pistons are loose, or the bores have gone oval. I have between 12,000, and 13,000 miles on them, so I can't really blame them for wearing out.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Apr 14 2020 11:00am

st35326 wrote:
Apr 13 2020 1:10pm
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Apr 13 2020 11:06am
st35326 wrote:
Apr 13 2020 3:00am
Being bored at home due to the pandemic I had idea of taking the Dragy off of my car and putting it on the bike for some performance testing.
Dragy-Bike.jpg
I figured 100m (328 feet) is a decent equivalent to 1/8 or 1/4 mile testing for automobiles, so I customized my Dragy runs to capture: 0-30mph, 0-40mph and 100m times. Just for reference I am 205lbs and testing a stock Bomber will do high 4 to low 5 second 0-30 mph (depending on SOC and rider weight). The best time on the bike pictured below was achieved with with my highest controller setting tried that day of 150 battery amps and 300 phase amps, with flux weakening and boost mode turned off.Bomber.jpg
Those times seem good, but I don't understand anything else. 300 phase amps, what's that?

How many amps max did your ca show?
Are they? I have no frame of reference because nobody seems to use such short distances for a performance metric :lol:
TV phase amps are like the cocaine of Ebikes. They are addictive and will surely be the reason for my packs early demise! :twisted:

Some good reading in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=82510
Impressive numbers there, I betting your Bomber is especially fun. :o

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Apr 15 2020 2:55am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
st35326 wrote:
Being bored at home due to the pandemic I had idea of taking the Dragy off of my car and putting it on the bike for some performance testing.
Dragy-Bike.jpg
I figured 100m (328 feet) is a decent equivalent to 1/8 or 1/4 mile testing for automobiles, so I customized my Dragy runs to capture: 0-30mph, 0-40mph and 100m times. Just for reference I am 205lbs and testing a stock Bomber will do high 4 to low 5 second 0-30 mph (depending on SOC and rider weight). The best time on the bike pictured below was achieved with with my highest controller setting tried that day of 150 battery amps and 300 phase amps, with flux weakening and boost mode turned off.Bomber.jpg
Those times seem good, but I don't understand anything else. 300 phase amps, what's that?

Every electric setup has DC amps, that is what controller sucks from the battery And then what it puts to the motor is called Phase amps. (motor has three phases, green, yellow and blue cable)
More phase amps means more power to motor and thus better acceleration. When you program a controller you always setup your DC and phase amps. if we are talking about stock surron it has 90A DC and 450 phase A.

st35326   100 W

100 W

Post by st35326 » Apr 15 2020 8:29am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Apr 14 2020 9:00am
st35326 wrote:
Apr 14 2020 12:05am
Looks like we've got a little ways to go to catch up with ICE bikes though.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ ... 7497_7.pdf
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to denigrate your Bomber in any way. It's just a set of streamers away from perfection. :D

I do like the Sur Ron though, but I'm just not into going back to registration, and insurance, and all that mess.
For Sure :thumb: The Bomber still does 80% of all my around town joy riding for this very reason. Pedals are a factor.
Last edited by st35326 on Apr 15 2020 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Apr 15 2020 12:47pm

Allex wrote:
Apr 15 2020 2:55am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
st35326 wrote:
Dragy-Bike.jpg

Every electric setup has DC amps, that is what controller sucks from the battery And then what it puts to the motor is called Phase amps. (motor has three phases, green, yellow and blue cable)
More phase amps means more power to motor and thus better acceleration. When you program a controller you always setup your DC and phase amps. if we are talking about stock surron it has 90A DC and 450 phase A.
Wow, I didn't know the Phase to DC amp ratio was north of 4:1. but that makes sense as the phase wires on the SurRon are HUGE.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 15 2020 2:22pm

The front was easy to install, but I'll have to cut the line to install the rear, which I haven't done yet.

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
Last edited by Theodore Voltaire on Apr 15 2020 6:58pm, edited 5 times in total.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 15 2020 3:36pm

Right now I have zero enthusiasm to start on the rear brake.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 15 2020 3:42pm

Rix wrote:
Apr 15 2020 12:47pm
Allex wrote:
Apr 15 2020 2:55am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
st35326 wrote:
Dragy-Bike.jpg

Wow, I didn't know the Phase to DC amp ratio was north of 4:1. but that makes sense as the phase wires on the SurRon are HUGE.
That is a bunch especially considering they're only 60v. I assume that means 100a per leg? Three legs = 300a.

Between the controller and the battery there can be 90a?

1abv   10 kW

10 kW

Post by 1abv » Apr 15 2020 10:04pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Apr 15 2020 3:36pm
Right now I have zero enthusiasm to start on the rear brake.
Wait till you get it on...... :bigthumb:

CJonaBttlrckt   10 W

10 W

Post by CJonaBttlrckt » Apr 16 2020 12:21am

Hi folks,
Does anyone know if I can switch or adjust a stealth charger, set at 58.8 volts to charge to 87.6v for a 72v battery; or is there a fundamental difference between the chargers, apart from the wiring at the at plug for the bike being different?
CD, this is for the recipient bike of your recent battery build.
hurricanecharger_sml.jpg
hurricanecharger_sml.jpg (215.56 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Thanks,
Clinton

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Apr 16 2020 3:38am

CJonaBttlrckt wrote:
Apr 16 2020 12:21am
Hi folks,
Does anyone know if I can switch or adjust a stealth charger, set at 58.8 volts to charge to 87.6v for a 72v battery; or is there a fundamental difference between the chargers, apart from the wiring at the at plug for the bike being different?
hurricanecharger_sml.jpg
Thanks,
Clinton
You probably won't be able to crank it up that much, but this is how you do it:

This was on my Stealth chargers, and several others I've bough over the years. Typically chargers will max out at 60V, 80V, or 100V depending on the caps used. You can usually see the max voltage printed on some of the caps. The pot may let you go above that voltage, but don't or it will risk blowing the caps.

Cheers
My stuff:
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

For Sale:
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Apr 16 2020 11:15am

CJonaBttlrckt wrote:
Apr 16 2020 12:21am
Hi folks,
hurricanecharger_sml.jpg
Thanks,
Clinton
You can only do so much with the trim pots.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 16 2020 3:56pm

I dood it. I had to get a little creative in order to fit the regen button on. It won't fit under the bolt like stock. I moved the button to back side of the clamp instead of the front, and used a longer bolt, and nut to hold it on. Looks almost the same as stock. Makes no difference to me though, because I never use it.

I tried to be all neat and clean by sneaking up on the line after I cut it open, but 30 minutes later I was up tp my arm pits in mineral oil again. I was able to get a good bleed on it though, better than the MTs even though the process is identical.

I'm going to put some miles on them after dinner, and then I'll evaluate how they work.

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
Last edited by Theodore Voltaire on Apr 16 2020 4:17pm, edited 3 times in total.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 16 2020 4:02pm

[imgImage][/img]

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 16 2020 8:45pm

Ok just got back from riding 25 miles. These brakes work ok. They have more stopping force than stock MT2s. They aren't amazing or anywhere close to that. If I had to guess I'd say MT5 are a tincy stronger. These have better feel though. In comparison I don't think these are as abrupt as MT5. They have nice firm linear pull, and because of the adjustable levers the travel is always going to be just right. They're so easy to modulate they're never going to be scary. The lever movement itself feels very precision. There's almost no wiggle, and the levers return to full open silently, even if you try to make them smack back, they still move silently, and smoothly. They have a classy, almost snooty, smooth operator look about them. In comparison MT2s have a more industrial working class look.

To summarize, I like these XT8000 Shimano's just fine. For a reasonable price of under $200 they're not only reasonably strong, but they also exude a high class taste you normally don't get in this price range.

The best thing about them is they're strong, but they're not strong enough to be scary, and the worst thing about them, they're not strong enough to be scary. :)

ps,
I forgot to mention the noise is gone. But still on occasion, usually at a slower speed, I can still make either one of them honk a little bit. I think Bombers are just really hard to make their brakes super quiet. I remember when my bike was pretty new I spent a lot of time fiddling with the brakes because of weird noises the brakes made. My sons B52 isn't too bad, but it's brakes aren't winning any awards for quietness either. Right now my brakes are quieter than I've ever been able to achieve so far.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 16 2020 11:46pm

This is the cockpit view.

[imgImage][/img]

RhombusB52   10 mW

10 mW

Post by RhombusB52 » Apr 17 2020 3:56am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:I dood it. I had to get a little creative in order to fit the regen button on. It won't fit under the bolt like stock. I moved the button to back side of the clamp instead of the front, and used a longer bolt, and nut to hold it on. Looks almost the same as stock. Makes no difference to me though, because I never use it.

I tried to be all neat and clean by sneaking up on the line after I cut it open, but 30 minutes later I was up tp my arm pits in mineral oil again. I was able to get a good bleed on it though, better than the MTs even though the process is identical.

I'm going to put some miles on them after dinner, and then I'll evaluate how they work.

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
Well done.

How does your bike look like it’s brand new? Wish mine was this clean.

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 17 2020 12:49pm

RhombusB52 wrote:
Apr 17 2020 3:56am

How does your bike look like it’s brand new? Wish mine was this clean.
It definitely looks better now than new, even with 13,000 miles. Works a little better too for the kind of riding I do. My initial impression back in 2013 was, it looked more like a piece of heavy field artillery than a thing of beauty. I did love the way it moved, but I wasn't instantly in love with the looks. That actually made it more fun, because it was challenging to change the things that I wasn't wild about.

eBikes always seem to have a mess of cable, and wire clutter in front of the handle bars, and it's hard to clean that up. The direction the hoses come out of these Shimano master cylinders is 90 degrees different from the Magura's. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, but as it turns out it does help reduce the clutter for a slightly cleaner look. Both hoses are able to take a more direct route to their destination, without having to loop so far in front of the bike.

[imgImage][/img]Image

[imgImage][/img]

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Apr 17 2020 1:02pm

Nicely done TV. Got your Bomber nicely set up for road riding . Looks great!

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 17 2020 3:28pm

Rix wrote:
Apr 17 2020 1:02pm
Thanks Rix, I feel like I have this bike perfected now. At least for me it is. Usually this is about the time were I decide to move on to a new bike, but I don't think it's going to happen this time. This bike captivates me now more than ever. Upgrading the suspension made a big difference. Good suspension allows me to utilize the better grip from wider rims. A bigger battery has a huge impact on overall riding experience too. The dreaded range anxiety just isn't much of a thing anymore. Fenders give a street bike a finished look, and I like not getting sprayed in the face with dirty street water. Finding the, just right, handle bars is a constant joy because when you're riding your bike, that's were you live. Good brakes, yeah that's nice too. It was fun making all these improvements to my bike, but these are the kind of things every rider wants to do in his own unique way.

One last accessory that deserves a lot more attention than it gets is a dropper seat post. What a sleeper that turned out to be. For an eBike it's the best thing since lithium battery's. Being able to adjust the seat height on the fly comes in real handy in the city, and I mean real handy. You can stand flat footed at lights, but easily raise it up to save your knees when you pedal. It has a kind of wow factor too, when people see you riding along in traffic, and suddenly drop down at the last second at a light. It's really cool.

john61ct   100 GW

100 GW

Post by john61ct » Apr 17 2020 3:40pm

I've heard of seat posts that help give comfort like a suspension affect for hardtails

What is the relationship between those and these "dropper" seat posts?

mutually exclusive or can be combined?

Links to examples?

10 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Apr 17 2020 3:54pm

john61ct wrote:
Apr 17 2020 3:40pm
I've heard of seat posts that help give comfort like a suspension affect for hardtails

Links to examples?
I wondered the same thing. They're two totally different animals. droppers don't have suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ecT-TooWjY

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Apr 17 2020 4:05pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Apr 17 2020 3:28pm
Rix wrote:
Apr 17 2020 1:02pm
Thanks Rix, I feel like I have this bike perfected now. At least for me it is. Usually this is about the time were I decide to move on to a new bike, but I don't think it's going to happen this time. This bike captivates me now more than ever. Upgrading the suspension made a big difference. Good suspension allows me to utilize the better grip from wider rims. A bigger battery has a huge impact on overall riding experience too. The dreaded range anxiety just isn't much of a thing anymore. Fenders give a street bike a finished look, and I like not getting sprayed in the face with dirty street water. Finding the, just right, handle bars is a constant joy because when you're riding your bike, that's were you live. Good brakes, yeah that's nice too. It was fun making all these improvements to my bike, but these are the kind of things every rider wants to do in his own unique way.

One last accessory that deserves a lot more attention than it gets is a dropper seat post. What a sleeper that turned out to be. For an eBike it's the best thing since lithium battery's. Being able to adjust the seat height on the fly comes in real handy in the city, and I mean real handy. You can stand flat footed at lights, but easily raise it up to save your knees when you pedal. It has a kind of wow factor too, when people see you riding along in traffic, and suddenly drop down at the last second at a light. It's really cool.
The beauty and simplicity in our bikes is the hub motor drive. Easy to work on, simple and quiet. I know mid drives offer more in terms of performance and advantage, but it comes at the price of being more involved. I will never not own at least one Stealth. I got a Bomber and two P7Rs along with a FUTR Alpha and Beta, and a SurRon. Shit, i need to downsize.

john61ct   100 GW

100 GW

Post by john61ct » Apr 17 2020 6:46pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
john61ct wrote:
Apr 17 2020 3:40pm

Links to examples?
I wondered the same thing. They're two totally different animals. droppers don't have suspension.
Too bad, hope to see combi versions on the market soon

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Apr 18 2020 5:22am

You know what they say, never say never...I might join your club again some day!

Cheers
My stuff:
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

For Sale:
Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.