Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
alxpeace   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Post by alxpeace » Oct 02 2019 3:04pm

@Kepler, Pm'ed for Kit Order, TY :bigthumb:

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Oct 13 2019 10:23pm

Hi all.

Just letting you know drive brackets are now back in stock. Please contact me via PM if you are interested in purchasing.

$100 USD plus postage ($20 USD anywhere in the world)
Manual supplied with purchase detailing other required parts and installation.

You will need to purchase separately and suitable outrunner motor, Vesc controller, and battery. There is a guide at the start of this thread to help you understand how the complete drive is put together.

I also have limited quantities of Arduino interfaces and custom button throttles.

An example of the extreme stealth that can be achieved.
Speed controller and interface hidden inside the frame and a single 6S 6000mah Lipo battery hidden in the water bottle.
150 Watts for an hour which is plenty on this type bike.
Attachments
Roadbike.jpg
Roadbike.jpg (171.33 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Roadbike1.jpg
Roadbike1.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/

Dumsterdave   100 W

100 W

Post by Dumsterdave » Oct 14 2019 4:04pm

Kepler wrote:
Oct 13 2019 10:23pm
Hi all.

Just letting you know drive brackets are now back in stock. Please contact me via PM if you are interested in purchasing.

You will need to purchase separately and suitable outrunner motor, Vesc controller, and battery. There is a guide at the start of this thread to help you understand how the complete drive is put together.

I also have limited quantities of Arduino interfaces and custom button throttles.

Speed controller and interface hidden inside the frame and a single 6S 6000mah Lipo battery hidden in the water bottle.
so what would be a rough estimate costwise for a complete setup using the exact specs on this bike?

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Oct 14 2019 5:38pm

The bike is 2018 Trek Domane SL7 Project One. Cost around $6000 USD. Approx $400 USD for the complete electric drive system (not including labour of course :) ).

I decided to use this bike because you have access to the inside the frame through a small removable cover under the water bottle

I am using a modified bracket for the carbon frame. The drive bracket uses the same lower section and pivot mechanism but a custom clamping upper bracket. Its not something I offer as there are so many different carbon frames and the clamp I used was hand built and very specific to this bike. Just showing what can be achieved with this system.

If you want to do something similar with a road bike, find a frame using a bottom bracket with screw in bearing cups. (these are becoming popular again) Also road bike manufacturers are starting to offer in frame storage solutions which will be perfect for this drive. Check out the 2020 Trek Domane bikes.
Current Rides

cheapcookie   100 W

100 W

Post by cheapcookie » Oct 16 2019 5:19pm

hey kepler, coulndt the motor be permanently in contact with the tyre. lets say if you ran out of juice or wanted to pedal without boost you could decouple it. that would allow for tesla style piloting?

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Oct 16 2019 7:13pm

You could lock it up if you wanted to by removing the shim washer in the pivot mech. You could then lock it on the tire when you wanted and unlock it off the tire should you run out of batteries.

I do run a permanent contact setup with my mountain bike which has some advantages.(Thread on that bike here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96581). Firstly it will work in wet weather providing you keep the Watt limit quite low (around 200W) and secondly you can set up the drive for regen if you want to. Regen works really well with a Vesc controller and makes a lot of sense on a mountain bike as you are typically spending quite a bit of time going down hill.

On a road bike, it makes more sense to have the drive decouple when not required so you get the most out the natural pedaling efficiency of a light weight road bike.

Certainly the option is there to use both methods.

I am glad you mentioned this as it is feature I haven't documented with this drive.
Current Rides

thierrylah   1 µW

1 µW

Post by thierrylah » Oct 26 2019 5:48pm

Hi Kepler,

I would love to buy a bracket as soon as it is available.

Thierry

juicy77   10 µW

10 µW

Post by juicy77 » Nov 12 2019 8:35am

Kepler wrote:
Oct 16 2019 7:13pm
You could lock it up if you wanted to by removing the shim washer in the pivot mech. You could then lock it on the tire when you wanted and unlock it off the tire should you run out of batteries.

I do run a permanent contact setup with my mountain bike which has some advantages.(Thread on that bike here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96581). Firstly it will work in wet weather providing you keep the Watt limit quite low (around 200W) and secondly you can set up the drive for regen if you want to. Regen works really well with a Vesc controller and makes a lot of sense on a mountain bike as you are typically spending quite a bit of time going down hill.

On a road bike, it makes more sense to have the drive decouple when not required so you get the most out the natural pedaling efficiency of a light weight road bike.

Certainly the option is there to use both methods.

I am glad you mentioned this as it is feature I haven't documented with this drive.
Hi ive pmed with regards to the updated bracket design and implementing regen on my old kit. Thanks!

guyrandom1   1 µW

1 µW

Post by guyrandom1 » Nov 14 2019 5:56am

I've ordered the drive kit and am piecing together the rest of the parts.

What's the latest recommendation on the controller? I was looking at the Vesp-x but have been unable to find. It looks like it is now rebranded as Enertion FocBox, but I am only finding the Unity variant that is listed at $300.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pranav.ptl   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Pranav.ptl » Nov 15 2019 9:57am

Kepler wrote:
Oct 13 2019 10:23pm
Hi all.

Hi could you please pm me details as well.. been on the fence forever and am finally ready to get it. Cheers

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Nov 16 2019 2:09am

PM sent.
Current Rides

frenchie   1 mW

1 mW

Post by frenchie » Jan 02 2020 12:32pm

Wow that's looks clever! And the Domane is pretty cool too :D
Please PM me info on your kit and what other stuff I need....
Thanks!

tcss000   1 µW

1 µW

Post by tcss000 » Jan 19 2020 3:53am

Researching on the best way to build my friction drive, and Kepler is awsome! Seriously considering Kepler brackets.

But a question if u dont mind pls? (is it ok to post questions here?)

Im quite familiar with ebike / escooter controllers. Been using them for few good years. But why do you guys recommend this drone controller (VESC) ? Any particular advantages over regular chinese ebike controllers? I see that this recommended Flipsky vesc4 cost considerable more then a 36v ebike controller ....

Thanks!

Ecyclist   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ecyclist » Jan 19 2020 11:22pm

tcss000 wrote:
Jan 19 2020 3:53am
Researching on the best way to build my friction drive, and Kepler is awsome! Seriously considering Kepler brackets.

But a question if u dont mind pls? (is it ok to post questions here?)

Im quite familiar with ebike / escooter controllers. Been using them for few good years. But why do you guys recommend this drone controller (VESC) ? Any particular advantages over regular chinese ebike controllers? I see that this recommended Flipsky vesc4 cost considerable more then a 36v ebike controller ....

Thanks!
1) VESC it's not a drone controller, how did you get that? VESC was originally designed for skateboards.
2) VESC is small and can be programmed to do much more than just control motor.
3) VESC 4.12 can handle up to 60k erpm and VESC 6 150k erpm.
If you want to know more check the esk8 forum.
www.electric-skateboard.builders
Don't expect from life to be easy and then it will be.
My builds:
Avian with hypocycloidal drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p1318056
2016 GNG extreme drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=82252

JiggityJoe   10 mW

10 mW

Post by JiggityJoe » May 26 2020 8:03pm

Hey Kepler,

I'm interested in purchasing a bracket for my gravel bike, and was also wondering if you're providing anymore kits with programmed VESC, Arduino, and throttle etc.

Thanks,
Joe