Kelly KLS strange behavior when configuring new motor.

Electric Motors and Controllers
Schlafmutze   10 W

10 W

Kelly KLS strange behavior when configuring new motor.

Post by Schlafmutze » Jan 31 2017 12:03pm

I'm configuring my controller (KLS7240S) (350a phase) for a QS 205 v3 motor, KLS series has a auto identification feature that calibrates the controller for the motor hall sensor angle and whatnot.

QS 205 V3 has far as I know 16 pole pairs, I have also typed that into the controller configuration app.
The issue I'm having though is when it tries to identify the angle when the wheel is off the ground the motor turns ever so slightly as one would expect, but then the fuses blow (150a), regardless of what I do, and all the hall sensors seem to show up correctly in the app as well.
Even just giving the throttle a slight turn into it's working range makes the controller supply a huge spike of current to the motor, shaking the whole bike.

Any ideas why the controller is acting up? I'm out of ideas myself.

ldopa_chicago   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Kelly KLS strange behavior when configuring new motor.

Post by ldopa_chicago » Mar 22 2017 12:07pm

I believe that the controller wants the number of poles, not pole pairs. So if you have 16 pole pairs, enter 32, then re-identify. Double check this though because what I say is true for the Kelly that I have, but maybe not for yours.

izeman   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Kelly KLS strange behavior when configuring new motor.

Post by izeman » Mar 22 2017 12:48pm

afaik the number of poles or pole pairs has nothing to do with the identification process. it's only needed to show the correct RPM in the monitoring tab of the app.
but to be sure, you better as fany here on the forum. he's from kelly.
i'd also expect the controller to be faulty. in case everything is connected correctly there should be no fuse blowing.