BBSHD - still big demand ?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Kitaro1999   1 W

1 W

BBSHD - still big demand ?

Post by Kitaro1999 » Sep 10 2018 1:44pm

I am curious if there is any insight around the demand for BBSHD, compared to the relatively newer Ultra or other?

Vendors are still selling the BBSHD kits, but I am curious if there is continuing demand for conversion of existing bikes, as opposed to buying custom frames / bikes.

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Re: BBSHD - still big demand ?

Post by dustNbone » Sep 10 2018 1:55pm

I don't see the demand for conversion kits going away anytime soon. There's too many different frame styles out there to make an Ultra compatible version of all of them, and some people have very unique applications.

The beauty of the BBSxx is that it can be stuck into almost anything with a bicycle style drivetrain. Lots of cargo bikes, recumbents, etc, some of which aren't even suitable for hub motors, can still mount a BBSxx without major modifications to the frame.

Also it can be reversed and the original BB reinstalled, some people like having that option.

The Ultra system has clear advantages, but I don't see it as a replacement for the BBSxx.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Sep 10 2018 2:21pm

The Ultra does not have the best track record so far. Seems to have controller issues. And it is really heavy.

The BBSHD has a very solid track record, even when abused or modified for higher power. The bad part is the PAS system, which sucks. If they could make a BBSHD with torque sensing PAS that works, it would be hard to beat.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

docw009   100 kW

100 kW

Post by docw009 » Sep 10 2018 3:50pm

I see most of the pedicabs in Chicago have front hub drives, and a few also have BBS drives.

The Ultra, does that not require cutting the frame and welding in a bracket?

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dustNbone » Sep 10 2018 3:54pm

Yes, it has it's own custom mount that replaces the BB. I guess you could probably cut and weld it into most frames, but it's certainly no bolt on.
image_11180.jpg
image_11180.jpg (13.3 KiB) Viewed 695 times

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Sep 10 2018 4:37pm

dustNbone wrote:
Sep 10 2018 1:55pm
Also it can be reversed and the original BB reinstalled, some people like having that option.
Like my Cyclone 4000W where the one I bought/or they gave me that particular style/setup, I had to use the frames BB threads to slide in an adapter and when I tried to get it out after a winter, it was stuck, had to use a pipe wrench and really damaged it. The motor was noisy but man could it climb anything, a particular 15-20% climb had it climbing well. I don't know how to remedy the situation with the bb adapter as Cyclone doesnt sell it, or they do sell it but you gotta buy it as apart of a kit, like crank kit. I already have the double crank.

I have talked to a few people in person who have said the BBSHD is nice build quality and very silent and that they are very pleased with it, and they said it will climb anything. But in person, those people were not even in the ballpark of 200lbs.

My plan is to have a 2wd setup on a fat bike (trying to get it ready for this winter) with the cyclone 4kw for hill climbing and a direct drive rear (or front) with sinewave controller. I could go all out on a Kelly controller, or Adaptto that pumps out ginormous amperes, that is still expensive!

Your guys' Ultra comment left me stumped, until a quick google search.
BAFANG ULTRA MAGNESIUM MOTOR
https://lunacycle.com/bafang-ultra-magn ... mid-drive/
I wonder if this is a Luna thing or is Bafang selling them.
Aliexpress/baba has 'em - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 41571.html

Gosh, TBH it looks like the Ultra's that are mounted look integrated into the bicycles frame, but they are however as you guys mention, attached to the bb. Most of the pics I see are actually integrated, but what threw me off is there is no motor to crank chain, so the integration to eliminate that is good.

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dustNbone » Sep 10 2018 9:17pm

I'd be careful running the BBSHD power through the side cover of some poor hub motor. I've considered a similar build but with a DD hub mainly for cruising and regen braking, but I think it would have to be a front hub because I'm pretty sure the BBS will tear off the side of the hub.