- Appears to be somewhat lucrative on the high end. Not so much on the low end.
- If you find a niche, it is a good business - Juiced (commuter), Lithium (scrambler), Rad (Commuter), Luna (Custom), now Frey (Bafang Ultra), Yuba (commuter), Biktrix (commuter, fat tire)
- Not a lot of regulations in the US, so having something fun, and supported well, should sell.
- Really no sales numbers to go by for smaller shops. I cant figure out how much people actually sell - e.g. Biktrix or Radbikes- is it 2 bikes a month or 15 ?
- Tons of brand names entering with underpowered but expensive and well supported LBS (Specialized, giant etc).
- Not really sure what trends exist. What is an ideal sweet spot for someone to look at ?
- People are jaded by random Indiegogo campaigns.
My goal is not only to figure out a sweet spot but to identify what a majority of people are looking for. at some point, this is a value game, and people will pay for quality and value (Juiced is a great example for me). Also flash in the pan ideas are great (scrambler) but hard to build a business around one.