Crimping

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
alsmith   100 kW

100 kW

Crimping

Post by alsmith » Jul 29 2015 9:03am

I've looked through loads of posts but couldn't find the answer so what tools do use / recommend for crimping the small connectors on throttles and other switches- jst 2.5 sm connectors or the 2.8mm type which seems to go under many names [eg Hitachi] and is very common. I bought one of those kits with replaceable jaws but it just eats then spits out the smaller ones (don't grip the wire and distort the insulation grips.
Last edited by alsmith on Jul 29 2015 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Crimping

Post by Ykick » Jul 29 2015 10:55am

This thread may be of some help -

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... it=+futaba

And here’s one I bought and use for both JST and Futaba connector contacts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=34109
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

alsmith   100 kW

100 kW

Post by alsmith » Jul 29 2015 2:06pm

Thanks. There seem to be 2 different types - that has 2 crimp sizes with good looking machined jaws, the other has 3 crimp sizes but looks like they've got a coated unfinished casting look. I'd seen them but the price is about half that of similar ones so wasn't going to buy without a recommendation.

dnmun   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dnmun » Jul 29 2015 2:47pm

use solder.

alsmith   100 kW

100 kW

Post by alsmith » Jul 29 2015 5:45pm

I did for that plug. But crimps are a better solution, mainly for the lower resistance.
As it happens the tie rods on my rear rack snapped so the whole rack rotated around the bottom mount bolts [a good pivot point] and as it rotated it snapped a few of the retaining clips that keep the plug and socket together but pulled the wires from some of the contacts on others. So I'm taking the opportunity to fit a new double rack with 4 tie rods, increasing those bottom bolts to M6 [from M5], adding some aluminium bars so I can move the batteries into panniers and give them a strong mount rather than trust those plastic hook things (I'm looking at creating a sheet aluminium inner liner for the panniers too]. And also adding some aluminium struts triangulation to help carry the load and stop any future pivoting around those bottom bolts.