2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
User avatar
craiggor   100 W

100 W
Posts: 146
Joined: Jan 30 2015 2:05pm
Location: Bury,U.K.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by craiggor » Mar 28 2017 4:15pm

Bonnie said in her email to me on the 23 march 2017.We have upgraded the material of the sun gear since last August.

User avatar
craiggor   100 W

100 W
Posts: 146
Joined: Jan 30 2015 2:05pm
Location: Bury,U.K.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by craiggor » Mar 29 2017 11:43am

7 days after my email to xiongda about my broken sun gear and my new one has arrived.Imagelooks like they have changed the material and re- designed the bearing holder.Image

User avatar
craiggor   100 W

100 W
Posts: 146
Joined: Jan 30 2015 2:05pm
Location: Bury,U.K.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by craiggor » Mar 29 2017 11:48am

Old one.ImageNew oneImage

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 318
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Mar 29 2017 1:16pm

Great service!
Is it an optical illusion or are the tooth slightly asymmetrical on the new one?

geofft   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 356
Joined: Nov 09 2012 9:41am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by geofft » Mar 29 2017 1:46pm

Looking at the failed gear there's very little wear on the teeth, seems to be just fatique fractures at the root of the teeth. I'm no materials specialist but that kind of degrading of the plastic looks very similar to the effects of lube attacking the material. Lube issues have much discussed in the past of course, maybe the 'new' gear type is more resistant, though I don't suppose Xiongda are likely to share the details with us...
BBS02 V2 48v 750w, 12s lipo.
Q128H (36v 201rpm), KT36/48SVPR, LCD3, 48v 12s lipo.

User avatar
craiggor   100 W

100 W
Posts: 146
Joined: Jan 30 2015 2:05pm
Location: Bury,U.K.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by craiggor » Mar 29 2017 2:11pm

knutselmaaster wrote:Great service!
Is it an optical illusion or are the tooth slightly asymmetrical on the new one?
Yea great service.Optical illusion on teeth.

zippys   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 29 2017 1:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by zippys » Mar 29 2017 2:14pm

ERROR 25H code Double Geared/Double Torque motor kit


we are installing our new Double Geared/Double Torque motor kit

and we are getting a ERROR CODE 25H

any ideas????



zippys

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 318
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Mar 29 2017 2:19pm

What controller / display are you using?

User avatar
craiggor   100 W

100 W
Posts: 146
Joined: Jan 30 2015 2:05pm
Location: Bury,U.K.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by craiggor » Mar 29 2017 2:28pm

geofft wrote:Looking at the failed gear there's very little wear on the teeth, seems to be just fatique fractures at the root of the teeth. I'm no materials specialist but that kind of degrading of the plastic looks very similar to the effects of lube attacking the material. Lube issues have much discussed in the past of course, maybe the 'new' gear type is more resistant, though I don't suppose Xiongda are likely to share the details with us...
The sun gear in the photo is from my first failure,when both the sun gear and planetary gears striped.ImageImage I think it may have been the clutch locking up.The second sun gear failure was I think caused by deformed gears picking up the rubber/metal bearing oil seal.ImageImageImageImage

zippys   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 29 2017 1:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by zippys » Mar 29 2017 2:33pm

we are using the full color display that came with the kit

750c TFTV148 luna 1.0

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 318
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Mar 29 2017 2:50pm

zippys wrote:we are using the full color display that came with the kit

750c TFTV148 luna 1.0
Ah, if you have a problem with a Luna kit, the best thing would be to contact Luna as they have their own display.

geofft   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 356
Joined: Nov 09 2012 9:41am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by geofft » Mar 29 2017 2:56pm

craiggor wrote:
geofft wrote:Looking at the failed gear there's very little wear on the teeth, seems to be just fatique fractures at the root of the teeth. I'm no materials specialist but that kind of degrading of the plastic looks very similar to the effects of lube attacking the material. Lube issues have much discussed in the past of course, maybe the 'new' gear type is more resistant, though I don't suppose Xiongda are likely to share the details with us...
The sun gear in the photo is from my first failure,when both the sun gear and planetary gears striped.


Seems like various failure modes there. Maybe the best explanation for simple souls like myself, is....

They're not strong enough.

:)
BBS02 V2 48v 750w, 12s lipo.
Q128H (36v 201rpm), KT36/48SVPR, LCD3, 48v 12s lipo.

zippys   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 29 2017 1:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by zippys » Mar 29 2017 3:30pm

we found a way to do SELF TESTING

1-6

#2 and #5 NG (Failed?)

#2 PAS sensor
#5 Motor Hall Sensor

cycleops612   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 585
Joined: May 31 2015 3:45pm
Location: Sydney Australia, Me: 70kg/154lb. 350w, 22kg ex battery, 24 speed axial mid-drive Bofeili MTB.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by cycleops612 » Mar 29 2017 6:59pm

zippys wrote:ERROR 25H code Double Geared/Double Torque motor kit


we are installing our new Double Geared/Double Torque motor kit

and we are getting a ERROR CODE 25H

any ideas????



zippys
manual listed here, but no 25h error mentioned?

https://lunacycle.com/luna-full-color-d ... nd-bbbshd/

rumme   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1377
Joined: Jan 28 2011 7:47pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by rumme » Mar 29 2017 7:53pm

I noticed there has been some talk about torque measurements.

I had been using a YESCOMUSA generic 1000 watt/ 48 volt rear direct drive hub motor in a 26 inch wheel on my fatbike, for years and it works decent, but the torque was weak. It had a 25 NM torque rating.

A week ago I decided to buy a BAFANG 750 watt / 48 volt geared hub motor that had a 80 NM torque rating. I was expecting the torque of this Bafang to really
impress me when compared to the YESCOM motor. I wasn't impressed . It does have a bit more torque, but not much as I was hoping. Furthermore, I have been pumping 2200 watts into the Bafang, which is 3 times what its rated for, which I would assume would increase the torque rating from 80 NMS to over 200 NMS...and it still isn't very impressive.

I'm guessing if torque is what you want., a good solution may be the MXUS V3 for around $300 . My bafang was $212 , and I was expecting better torque . I do like that it freewheels and is smaller/ lighter ..but it is also much louder at slow speeds.

Does anyone know which MXUS V3 motor would give the highest torque on a 48 volt - 50 amp setup in a 26 " wheel ? A top speed of 40 mph, with high torque and efficiency is all I need.

cycleops612   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 585
Joined: May 31 2015 3:45pm
Location: Sydney Australia, Me: 70kg/154lb. 350w, 22kg ex battery, 24 speed axial mid-drive Bofeili MTB.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by cycleops612 » Mar 29 2017 8:21pm

And may i add a query:

Re adding torque to the above initial DD drive, would there have been electric/electronic solutions such as sine wave controller etc.?

are there ways of fine tuning the magnetic pulses to good effect?

bleedpurple   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 17 2016 6:49am
Location: Bismarck, ND USA

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by bleedpurple » Apr 16 2017 9:13am

zippys wrote:we found a way to do SELF TESTING

1-6

#2 and #5 NG (Failed?)

#2 PAS sensor
#5 Motor Hall Sensor
I had the same issue with the 25H error code on the double torque/double speed motor from Luna. Try disconnecting the two brake sensors. That made my error code go away. I think this will get you to pass tests 1-5 with 6 failing.

cycleops612   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 585
Joined: May 31 2015 3:45pm
Location: Sydney Australia, Me: 70kg/154lb. 350w, 22kg ex battery, 24 speed axial mid-drive Bofeili MTB.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by cycleops612 » Apr 16 2017 10:02am

bleedpurple wrote:
zippys wrote:we found a way to do SELF TESTING

1-6

#2 and #5 NG (Failed?)

#2 PAS sensor
#5 Motor Hall Sensor
I had the same issue with the 25H error code on the double torque/double speed motor from Luna. Try disconnecting the two brake sensors. That made my error code go away. I think this will get you to pass tests 1-5 with 6 failing.
So assuming theysell one, isnt the moral for newbs - get a controller from XD at purchase? - or one the suggest/recommend.

bigoilbob   100 W

100 W
Posts: 105
Joined: Sep 06 2015 8:33am

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by bigoilbob » Apr 18 2017 8:40am

"So assuming theysell one, isnt the moral for newbs - get a controller from XD at purchase? - or one the suggest/recommend."

cycleops612, this seems like good advice. But what else delineates the luna version from XD's? I.e., why not just buy from XD and get Bonnie's (good) support.?

Correct me if I'm in error, but I thought that the Luna principal could not tell us any material difference between the innards of an XD and that of his. If I am in error, then please point me to any documentation of those differences. If it is on the Luna web site, I missed it.

Thx.

techedge   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Jun 20 2015 7:35pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by techedge » Apr 19 2017 12:19am

bigoilbob wrote:Please point me to any documentation of those differences.. [between Luna's and Xiongda direct]".
Yeah, I'm with you on this Big-Oil-Bob!

Is it simply that people are afraid to purchase from an overseas (Chinese) company direct - despite all the recommendations that Xiongda are the reputable company everyone on this thread has found for themselves?

I'm not suggesting anyone (Luna) aren't a good proposition, but remember the middle-man will always take a cut, and if they can't demonstrate that they are also providing a service, then where is the value for the extra $$s people will be paying going the middle-man route/

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1968
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by flat tire » Apr 19 2017 12:24am

Need education. Why would someone buy these over a mid drive or simply a more powerful hub? They look like junk.

cycleops612   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 585
Joined: May 31 2015 3:45pm
Location: Sydney Australia, Me: 70kg/154lb. 350w, 22kg ex battery, 24 speed axial mid-drive Bofeili MTB.

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by cycleops612 » Apr 19 2017 12:31am

flat tire wrote:Need education. Why would someone buy these over a mid drive or simply a more powerful hub? They look like junk.
I think u mean - why would anyone not do what i would do if i were in their shoes.

Trouble is u r not & never will be. u dont know what u dont know.

r u saying no one above has stated a valid preference/reason?

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1968
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by flat tire » Apr 19 2017 1:35am

Reasonable question psychological analysis not relevant. I guess you can make a cool lightweight build with this thing?

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 318
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Apr 19 2017 1:49am

The most interesting part is that it provides a lot of torque at 250w. Here in Europe 250w is the legal power limit so installing a bigger motor isn't an option.

1boris   100 W

100 W
Posts: 114
Joined: Dec 06 2013 3:46pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by 1boris » Apr 19 2017 2:55am

I talked to Bonnie,they don make a special 48volt 20a version of the Xiongda 2 speed motor.So it is the same motor as the 48volt 15a.And that beeing said I have run them at 48v 20a and it is just a question of time before you burn them.

Post Reply