Why, wHY, WHY must a saddle be so hard and narrow!?!

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Why, wHY, WHY must a saddle be so hard and narrow!?!

Post by amberwolf » Aug 29 2010 8:18pm

I've yet to find a usable leather saddle on any of the stuff I've recycled (found a rotted one once, but the frame itself was too far gone to attempt to copy the saddle design in other leather I had from other things, or I'd've tried to make my own. I still have it around somewhere in hopes of copying the frame itself, too, once I am capable of making springy stuff like that).

But I suspect that they would be far better than any of the foam saddles or gel things I've ever tried, including ones I've made myself (which were better but not good enough).

Even after a mile or less, I really disliked any saddle I've ever ridden. It's one reason I built CrazyBike2 as a semi-recumbent, and why I dream of either making it operational again or finishing one of it's descendant designs. That suspended mesh chair is SO comfy; I could probably ride it all day and night.

I tried a foam contoured version of the seat first, and it was really nice, too, but the suspended mesh is better, if for no other reason than vibration damping. A contoured suspended mesh would be perfect. :)

Based on what I've read and been told, a leather saddle would be the next best thing.

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Aug 29 2010 11:26pm

I went to a bike swap meet a guy had 3 very oversized seats the works big butt cloud-9 double gell for 5 bucks each with 8mm rails they were made for an exercise bike SCORE !! don't even fill a bump. Yes I do 37mph comoly steel bike on p.c.h. . But could never use alummium to much flex.. That's as fast as I like to go or maybe 43mph hit last night up small hill. Flashing on the road sign. Wow

fifthmass   100 W

100 W

Post by fifthmass » Aug 30 2010 8:30am

My own $0.02 and experience is that if you pedal long miles on an ebike you will be more comfortable with a narrow hard roadie saddle. I'm a 2WD ebiker (pedal the rear, motor the front). I have an Avatar road saddle with very small gel pockets under my sit bones. Broke in fine after first long ride and have done several ebike century rides with no butt pain and 200 lbs weight. Roadies would not use the hard saddles for long miles if they did not work.

If you don't pedal and/or ride long miles the cushy padding and extra width won't matter. My problem with the wide and soft saddles is that the width causes strain on inner thigh and groin muscles. The soft saddles waste pedaling energy from the compression of the padding on each stroke.

Take care and be safe,
Bill
2010 Trek 820 hardtail with Surly rigid fork
Clyte 408 with Clyte 25A 48 volt controller
48v 20aH v1 Ping lifepo4 - 15,000 miles approx 1,000 cycles

LI-ghtcycle   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by LI-ghtcycle » Aug 30 2010 10:53am

Well, I got a chance to try a vintage Brooks from the 60's and WOW WOW WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

First saddle that I have ever loved!! :mrgreen:

It looked questionable until my friend treated it with some of the brooks saddle treatment (I guess they make horse saddles as their main business, so the leather is top notch) and now it doesn't look too bad!

It's a really different looking one to with four horizontal springs (B72 model) well off for the morning ride with dad, thanks again for the great advice! 8)
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.
Back on track E-Bronco! Now with Cro Motor Mid-Drive Goodness!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=44997

Vision R40 w/3000w MXUS as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, Silent yet powerful, running 72v 11.6 ah (20s 18650 Li-Ion) to climb hills, tow trailer with zero pedaling when needed!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=75247[/size]

D-Man   1 MW

1 MW

Post by D-Man » Sep 01 2010 9:30pm

Congrats. Ok 3 days later. You still like it? :)
408 front hub
21000+ miles on many sla's.
5 tires worn out

LI-ghtcycle   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by LI-ghtcycle » Sep 02 2010 12:52am

No, I LOVE it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, other than I have to keep it dry (not easy to do in Oregon, got drenched today pretty fierce) so that it doesn't get too soft and come apart, it's amazing.

I have been coating it with Sno Seal, and other than one rivet that is sticking up on the front, it's been perfect.
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.
Back on track E-Bronco! Now with Cro Motor Mid-Drive Goodness!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=44997

Vision R40 w/3000w MXUS as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, Silent yet powerful, running 72v 11.6 ah (20s 18650 Li-Ion) to climb hills, tow trailer with zero pedaling when needed!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=75247[/size]

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Sep 02 2010 3:13am

Like a good pair of leather boots, a good leather saddle feels good from the first day and then just keeps getting better.
I hope you're protecting the underside of the saddle with a fender.
Here's a handy item for clamping double rail saddles.