My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 14 2017 2:35am

I will weigh it as soon as I get it. I have a feeling it will be very heavy.

I asked them about the battery, and they said that any battery will work as long as the current and voltage are matched well.
nataS@phnet.fi wrote:
Robleman wrote: Anyone have an answer for:
- Total weight
- Is battery codified? Or can you rebuild it with standar cells?

Thanks
Similar bike on sale says net weight 27 , g.w. was 31 kg. That bike was on 17,5Ah battery and cheaper components. About battery being codified, no idea but strong suspense that it´s not. Atleast i haven´t heard such a thing in chinese builds.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 14 2017 2:36am

They were just showing me that they were able to read that from the Ultra using their software. They haven't confirmed whether or not they can program it. I'm afraid to try because if I mess it up, I wouldn't know what to do.
fechter wrote:
robocam wrote:
They also included this screenshot of their programming software. I hope this means that they will program it to my specifications. I wonder if the software from here will work.
The BBSHD uses the same version (2.0) of the Bafang Config Tool, so I assume the programming software is the same.

nataS@phnet.fi   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 07 2016 2:34pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by nataS@phnet.fi » Nov 14 2017 11:46am

Karl at electricbike-blog is gonna publish some settings for the Bafang Ultra (althought with Lunacycles Ludicrous controller) so i guess we´ll soon be wiser about programming.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 14 2017 12:30pm

Awesome. Can't wait. =) The thing that I'm wondering about is the difference between SPORT and ECO. How is the programmer going to handle that? I wonder if the Eggrider will be compatible. Also, my concern about programming the Ultra is not whether I'll get the settings right, but whether the program is compatible with the Ultra. There must be some new settings in the Ultra that the old software isn't aware of.
nataS@phnet.fi wrote:Karl at electricbike-blog is gonna publish some settings for the Bafang Ultra (althought with Lunacycles Ludicrous controller) so i guess we´ll soon be wiser about programming.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14638
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by fechter » Nov 14 2017 11:24pm

The inside scoop I got is the Ultra uses a different programming software and the BBSHD software won't work.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 15 2017 1:51am

That's unfortunate. I wonder how long it will be until we get our hands on a copy of the software.

I was just told by Frey that the throttle and current settings were able to be altered but they were unsure about the assist settings. I wonder what would happen if I plugged an Eggrider into it.
fechter wrote:The inside scoop I got is the Ultra uses a different programming software and the BBSHD software won't work.
Last edited by robocam on Nov 15 2017 2:02am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 15 2017 1:52am

They just sent me pictures of my bike! I've added 12 pictures to the first post on page 1. Here are 3. Should be shipping soon!

Image

Image

Check out that Lyrik!

Image

oleaiz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 14 2017 12:56pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by oleaiz » Nov 15 2017 2:09am

Thank you, nice pictures. Good luck with shipping.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14638
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by fechter » Nov 15 2017 2:52pm

That really looks nice. Bet it will be a blast to ride.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 16 2017 2:54am

Thanks! I sure hope so.
fechter wrote:That really looks nice. Bet it will be a blast to ride.

Robleman   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 30
Joined: Jan 18 2017 2:40pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Robleman » Nov 19 2017 8:06am

Robocam many of us are anxious to read your first review of the bike!
She looks great!
I wonder if they sell just frame&motor cause it can be a good option and less expensive delivery, so everyone can get the rest of the components locally.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 19 2017 10:21am

They said it should ship tomorrow :)

I asked about buying just the frame and fork but they said they wanted to sell it complete to ensure quality.
Robleman wrote:
Nov 19 2017 8:06am
Robocam many of us are anxious to read your first review of the bike!
She looks great!
I wonder if they sell just frame&motor cause it can be a good option and less expensive delivery, so everyone can get the rest of the components locally.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 20 2017 9:08pm

It's packed =)

Image

Image

Image
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (199.51 KiB) Viewed 6386 times

oleaiz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 14 2017 12:56pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by oleaiz » Nov 21 2017 5:45am

Nice package. Now you see the end of your waiting. Have a safe shipping and enjoy your bike soon.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 22 2017 2:27am

Thanks =) I still have to wait a few more days. I hope it makes it here undamaged.

Something interesting to note is that they made those derailleur hangers with their CNC machine because the ones they ordered from their supplier hadn't shown up yet. That's pretty cool that they could do that.
oleaiz wrote:
Nov 21 2017 5:45am
Nice package. Now you see the end of your waiting. Have a safe shipping and enjoy your bike soon.

User avatar
burner77   100 W

100 W
Posts: 132
Joined: Mar 04 2014 9:57am
Location: Austria

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by burner77 » Nov 23 2017 4:04am

The concept looks interesting and there a different ones around from China, all pretty similar. I have got a email today with a cheaper version of it. See attached pic.
I had the chance to test the bike you have ordered. From the motor feeling is pretty different than a BBSHD. While with the HD at assist level 5 you get full power, the Ultra has to be pushed hard to get the same power, because of the torque sensor. It means, if you want to go fast, you will sweat. Using the throttle is no difference between HD and Ultra.
In the flat the power delivery was pretty inconstant, with a pusing power delivery every second, but could be also the settings.
The bike is heavy, compared to my BBSHD built with 180 mm travel and 24,5 Ah, it felt 5 kg heavier, should be around 30 kg.
Looking forward to your experience, let us know!
Attachments
Catch(11-22-10-1(11-23-16-35-26).jpg

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 23 2017 5:02am

Thanks for your test report. So you said the power delivery paused every second while you were on a flat? Was this while using the torque sensor? I imagine the Ultra can be programmed to deliver more power in the higher assist settings.

Where did you get a chance to ride the Frey AM1000? Did you take any pictures? Did you get a chance to test SPORT vs ECO mode?

That bike in the photo may look similar at first glance, but the rear suspension design is completely different, and it's a fat bike. The battery case does look similar though. How much does it cost?

I will update as soon as I receive it =)
burner77 wrote:
Nov 23 2017 4:04am
The concept looks interesting and there a different ones around from China, all pretty similar. I have got a email today with a cheaper version of it. See attached pic.
I had the chance to test the bike you have ordered. From the motor feeling is pretty different than a BBSHD. While with the HD at assist level 5 you get full power, the Ultra has to be pushed hard to get the same power, because of the torque sensor. It means, if you want to go fast, you will sweat. Using the throttle is no difference between HD and Ultra.
In the flat the power delivery was pretty inconstant, with a pusing power delivery every second, but could be also the settings.
The bike is heavy, compared to my BBSHD built with 180 mm travel and 24,5 Ah, it felt 5 kg heavier, should be around 30 kg.
Looking forward to your experience, let us know!

User avatar
burner77   100 W

100 W
Posts: 132
Joined: Mar 04 2014 9:57am
Location: Austria

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by burner77 » Nov 23 2017 6:34am

Yes the one on the pic is different, I haven't see any price for that, but I have got a email if I'm interested.
The one I have tested wasn't constant in power in the flat, it didn't pause, it is because of the torque sensor or some other issue. The full power was available, but only when pedaled hard. I hope Bafang provides any changes for that. I felt no difference in Sport and Eco, I drove only in Sport. I have made no pics, sorry.
robocam wrote:
Nov 23 2017 5:02am
Thanks for your test report. So you said the power delivery paused every second while you were on a flat? Was this while using the torque sensor? I imagine the Ultra can be programmed to deliver more power in the higher assist settings.

Where did you get a chance to ride the Frey AM1000? Did you take any pictures? Did you get a chance to test SPORT vs ECO mode?

That bike in the photo may look similar at first glance, but the rear suspension design is completely different, and it's a fat bike. The battery case does look similar though. How much does it cost?

I will update as soon as I receive it =)

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 29 2017 12:56am

I just got the bike today!!! Haven't had a chance to open the package yet. I'll try to make an unboxing video. The batteries will arrive by the end of the week.

oleaiz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 14 2017 12:56pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by oleaiz » Nov 29 2017 5:01am

Perfect. Very exiting! Please update with pictures and most importantly with your impression about quality of bike. Once you have the battery and can ride it, will be nice to know. Wish you luck. My bike is under production. They are Waiting for Shimano parts and battery to build it. The promise me to be ready by the middle of December. I ask them for pictures of bike and engine programm pictures. I also ask to get for me the programming cable and software. So far no response. Regards Ole.

nataS@phnet.fi   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 36
Joined: Jun 07 2016 2:34pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by nataS@phnet.fi » Nov 29 2017 7:03am

Nice! Mine is ready and waiting for shipping, no idea when it will arrive. Interested to also hear what you think about it, ride hard!

oleaiz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 14 2017 12:56pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by oleaiz » Nov 30 2017 4:26am

Hello. How is it going with packing up the bike? Is it nice? Are you happy with it?

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 30 2017 7:46pm

Thanks =) I received regular photo updates. They told me they were able to obtain the programming software, and they're testing it now. I just opened the package today. Batteries arrive tomorrow.
oleaiz wrote:
Nov 29 2017 5:01am
Perfect. Very exiting! Please update with pictures and most importantly with your impression about quality of bike. Once you have the battery and can ride it, will be nice to know. Wish you luck. My bike is under production. They are Waiting for Shimano parts and battery to build it. The promise me to be ready by the middle of December. I ask them for pictures of bike and engine programm pictures. I also ask to get for me the programming cable and software. So far no response. Regards Ole.

User avatar
robocam   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 761
Joined: May 29 2014 8:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by robocam » Nov 30 2017 7:48pm

That's great news! It only took 1 day to reach me after it was picked up.
nataS@phnet.fi wrote:
Nov 29 2017 7:03am
Nice! Mine is ready and waiting for shipping, no idea when it will arrive. Interested to also hear what you think about it, ride hard!

oleaiz   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 14 2017 12:56pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by oleaiz » Nov 30 2017 7:49pm

How about the quality of the bike?

Post Reply