New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by casainho » Apr 02 2020 10:20am

Cristian wrote:
Apr 02 2020 9:49am
I will replace the bearing, do the motor temperature dissipation mods and switch to the 850C display. Too bad i already bought it a while ago, i would have bought the 860C now. Next time i guess.
860C display quality is really a good improvement, important for reading outside during the day.
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

skestans   100 W

100 W

Post by skestans » Apr 03 2020 10:45am

My motor did really bite into the frame at the chain stays :( I’m worried this will cause a rust issue down the line since this frame is cromoly. What do you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/Hqb3alq

sysrq   100 W

100 W

Re: New

Post by sysrq » Apr 03 2020 8:45pm

Elinx wrote:
Apr 01 2020 8:01am
sysrq wrote:
Apr 01 2020 7:21am
What about the right side? I think allowing play on the right side only might put more stress on the axle.
Again on the Italian Jobike forum someone has put a thin sheet of metal inside there. For that purpose you can use the metal of a feeler gauge.
Could try, but the whole construction kinda doesn't seem to be confidence inspiring enough. Using some sort of a compression ring would have been better if they know that they have a bad tolerance control.

Retrorockit   100 W

100 W

Post by Retrorockit » Apr 05 2020 8:17am

skestans wrote:
Apr 03 2020 10:45am
My motor did really bite into the frame at the chain stays :( I’m worried this will cause a rust issue down the line since this frame is cromoly. What do you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/Hqb3alq
You should treat the bare metal with a rust converter solution. This will put an inert oxide coating there to prevent rust. Then touch up paint it. An automotive paint store should have something that will match fairly well.

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Apr 06 2020 11:15am

Quick note for the OpenSource firmware users: new firmware release that corrected the delay that motor took to stop after stop pedaling (overrun), added automatic battery pack resistance measurement and other features.

Download here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... 102_v0.8.0

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

hetm4n   100 mW

100 mW

Post by hetm4n » Apr 06 2020 11:35am

Time for testing :)
By the way I did the sensor calibration, for me it looks like the graph (note! The left pedal is on the left side of the sheet)
mongoose teocali comp 2014 TSDZ2 750W 13s3p & 13s7p
dartmoor primal 2017 bafang BBS02b 750W 13s6p

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Apr 06 2020 11:43am

hetm4n wrote:
Apr 06 2020 11:35am
Time for testing :)
By the way I did the sensor calibration, for me it looks like the graph (note! The left pedal is on the left side of the sheet)
You should adjust that values, the curves must be kind of soft, for instance, I would increase the values of 4 and 5, on the left graph. Or the 4 and 5 values are wrong (to low) or the 3 value is wrong (to high) - maybe you should measure again that values.

It is clear that your torque sensor has high sensitivity from 0 to 15 kgs and after that has half of the sensitivity, which is awkward while riding, when you pull more the pedals but feel lower response from the motor...

RicMcK   10 W

10 W

Post by RicMcK » Apr 06 2020 1:46pm

Rent- borrow an 850C bootloader box?

I am setting up a TSDZ2 with a new P850C display. Does anyone have a bootloader box I can rent or borrow to upload the latest version of the firmware on it? I want to buy one but Eco-Cycles is out of stock and with the Corona virus shuttering many businesses I don't have any idea when they will be available.

I am put my original setup on my tandem and now riding a stock setup on my town bike. I really miss the firmware upgrade as the stock firmware is crappy.

I live in Seattle WA
Rick Seattle WA

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Apr 06 2020 2:08pm

RicMcK wrote:
Apr 06 2020 1:46pm
Rent- borrow an 850C bootloader box?

I am setting up a TSDZ2 with a new P850C display. Does anyone have a bootloader box I can rent or borrow to upload the latest version of the firmware on it? I want to buy one but Eco-Cycles is out of stock and with the Corona virus shuttering many businesses I don't have any idea when they will be available.

I am put my original setup on my tandem and now riding a stock setup on my town bike. I really miss the firmware upgrade as the stock firmware is crappy.

I live in Seattle WA
Or you can ask any friend that work with an Arduino for the Arduino USB-UART cable and use it as a bootloader box. Also this cables are very cheap and popular, maybe you can find on local stores.

James Broadhurst   10 W

10 W

Post by James Broadhurst » Apr 08 2020 3:53am

Had a strange problem with a 52v KT-LCD3 and OSF. Suddenly there is no assist. Everything else is operating correctly. Walk assist is receiving all assist levels correctly, the throttle also is fine and cruise operates correctly.

The solution was to disconnect the throttle and all assist levels functioned correctly. Quite soon the throttle will be removed and replaced with an LM35DT temperature chip (many thanks eyebicycle for your idea of screwing in the tab) which might be a problem.

Anybody else seen anything like this?

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Apr 08 2020 4:06am

I updated the wiki on how to install TSDZ2 on cargo bike -- now I am looking for notes and pictures of installation on a fat bike, I think this is the last category left - anyone available to share his own notes and pictures?

hetm4n   100 mW

100 mW

Post by hetm4n » Apr 08 2020 4:59am

casainho wrote:
Apr 06 2020 11:43am
You should adjust that values, the curves must be kind of soft, for instance, I would increase the values of 4 and 5, on the left graph. Or the 4 and 5 values are wrong (to low) or the 3 value is wrong (to high) - maybe you should measure again that values.

It is clear that your torque sensor has high sensitivity from 0 to 15 kgs and after that has half of the sensitivity, which is awkward while riding, when you pull more the pedals but feel lower response from the motor...
I repeated the calibration, I have the same results. in the "technical" options there is also a real weight reading. before calibration, when I stepped on the pedal, my weight showed correctly 76kg. After calibration, it shows my overweight, i.e. 104kg.
mongoose teocali comp 2014 TSDZ2 750W 13s3p & 13s7p
dartmoor primal 2017 bafang BBS02b 750W 13s6p

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Apr 08 2020 5:12am

hetm4n wrote:
Apr 08 2020 4:59am
I repeated the calibration, I have the same results. in the "technical" options there is also a real weight reading. before calibration, when I stepped on the pedal, my weight showed correctly 76kg. After calibration, it shows my overweight, i.e. 104kg.
Well, then I would say your calibration values must be corrected.

skestans   100 W

100 W

Post by skestans » Apr 08 2020 6:25am

RicMcK wrote:Rent- borrow an 850C bootloader box?

I live in Seattle WA
Check the wiki, you can make your own boot loader box with very cheap parts from eBay or aliexpress.

Cristian   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Cristian » Apr 08 2020 6:52am

skestans wrote:
You should put 1 or 2 layers of inner tube between the frame and the metal part pressing against it.
Cristian wrote:
Mar 19 2020 10:24am
I opened the motor and it looks like the clutch bearing is causing the play. I have 2300km with the OSF firmware and KT-LCD3. I always ride hard in traffic, so it did take some abuse.

I will replace the bearing, do the motor temperature dissipation mods and switch to the 850C display. Too bad i already bought it a while ago, i would have bought the 860C now. Next time i guess.

Anyways, the OSF firmware is amazing. Thank you again to everybody who is involved in this project.
Ok, i it seems that the clutch bearing is fine. I removed every part of the motor, greased everything, but when i closed it up and put back the spider with the chain rings (42T and 52T), the chain rings have more play than i would be comfortable to ride with. So i don't know what is wrong. This issue came up after I installed and ridden with the 52T chain ring for a short ride.

Here's a video of the problem

It looks like the axle is not moving. I thought it was at first, and i did the washer mod suggested by EcoCycles a few pages back. It's very snug now, but it seems that wasn't the problem.

RicMcK   10 W

10 W

Post by RicMcK » Apr 08 2020 9:30am

Cristian wrote:
Apr 08 2020 6:52am
skestans wrote:
You should put 1 or 2 layers of inner tube between the frame and the metal part pressing against it.
Cristian wrote:
I opened the motor and it looks like the clutch bearing is causing the play. I have 2300km with the OSF firmware and KT-LCD3. I always ride hard in traffic, so it did take some abuse.

Anyways, the OSF firmware is amazing. Thank you again to everybody who is involved in this project.
Ok, i it seems that the clutch bearing is fine. I removed every part of the motor, greased everything, but when i closed it up and put back the spider with the chain rings (42T and 52T), the chain rings have more play than i would be comfortable to ride with. So i don't know what is wrong. This issue came up after I installed and ridden with the 52T chain ring for a short ride.

It looks like the axle is not moving. I thought it was at first, and i did the washer mod suggested by EcoCycles a few pages back. It's very snug now, but it seems that wasn't the problem.
I put some bearing mount in the bearing axel interface, and that solved my issue. I would look carefully at the clutch bearing, as sometimes they are sloppy.
Rick Seattle WA

skestans   100 W

100 W

Post by skestans » Apr 08 2020 1:27pm

Cristian wrote:
skestans wrote:
Cristian wrote:

I had initially, and it bit right through, causing the chaffing.

Cristian   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Cristian » Apr 09 2020 2:35am

Yes, now i see that the clutch bearing is the problem. I took down the spider with the chain rings and i attached the screws directly to it. It has a lot of play. I will have to find a replacement somehow.

ilu   1 W

1 W

Post by ilu » Apr 09 2020 6:57am

Cristian wrote:
Apr 09 2020 2:35am
Yes, now i see that the clutch bearing is the problem. I took down the spider with the chain rings and i attached the screws directly to it. It has a lot of play. I will have to find a replacement somehow.
This is a cheap replacement bearing, which has worked fine for me although I've only driven 100-200km after changing so cannot say anything about durability. Surely you can find same bearings from reliable Westerns brands but they might cost a few times more.

nisseDILLIGAF   1 µW

1 µW

Post by nisseDILLIGAF » Apr 09 2020 2:02pm

Hi..

I have a quick question... and I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong thread, I know this have been discussed in other threads...
I have a beach cruiser with a 51mm bottom bracket.
Can i fit the TSDZ2 in there without an extra bracket adapter?

My gut feeling says no... does anyone have som experience with this?
And does anyone from Sweden know if I can buy an adapter in Sweden or maybe in Europe?

Thanx to all developers and for a great forum!!

here are some images of my installation...

sysrq   100 W

100 W

Post by sysrq » Apr 09 2020 4:35pm

Cristian wrote:
skestans wrote:
Cristian wrote:

Isn't it better to use some old bicycle tyre instead of inner tube?

jeff.page.rides   100 W

100 W

Post by jeff.page.rides » Apr 09 2020 6:00pm

nisseDILLIGAF wrote:
Apr 09 2020 2:02pm
Hi..

I have a quick question... and I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong thread, I know this have been discussed in other threads...
I have a beach cruiser with a 51mm bottom bracket.
Can i fit the TSDZ2 in there without an extra bracket adapter?

My gut feeling says no... does anyone have som experience with this?
And does anyone from Sweden know if I can buy an adapter in Sweden or maybe in Europe?

Thanx to all developers and for a great forum!!

here are some images of my installation...
These are what you are looking for.
Do not use it without it will crack the housing.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1409199019?

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/msc-zion-t ... 36460580/p?

https://www.treefortbikes.com/TruVativ- ... et-Adapter

https://northwestbicycle.com/products/b ... can-j20918?

skestans   100 W

100 W

New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by skestans » Apr 10 2020 12:10am

sysrq wrote:
Cristian wrote:
Isn't it better to use some old bicycle tyre instead of inner tube?
How do you cut a tire though? I couldn’t go through the metal wires on the edge.

nisseDILLIGAF   1 µW

1 µW

Post by nisseDILLIGAF » Apr 10 2020 11:08am

Thanx!!
I was hoping for a fast easy solution...
But I ended up ordering this one from Luna cycle
Now I have to play the waiting game :shock:

https://lunacycle.com/american-style-ec ... a-adapter/

ilu   1 W

1 W

Post by ilu » Apr 10 2020 11:50am

nisseDILLIGAF wrote:
Apr 10 2020 11:08am
Thanx!!
I was hoping for a fast easy solution...
But I ended up ordering this one from Luna cycle
Now I have to play the waiting game :shock:

https://lunacycle.com/american-style-ec ... a-adapter/
It's good that you chose the eccentric adapter, with a symmetrical one there probably would not be enough clearance to fit the motor. Make sure the supporting bracket on the left side aligns straight against the BB, and use washers on the motor shaft if needed.