New build TSDZ2 not working

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
gavdxb   1 µW

1 µW

New build TSDZ2 not working

Post by gavdxb » Aug 21 2019 1:48pm

Hi All

These seems to be a wealth of knowledge on the TSDZ2 on here!

I’ve just built my first ebike with a 48v, 750W TSDZ2.

I’m not getting any assistance while pedaling although walk assist does seem to be working.

I’m wondering whether my issue is that it is connected to a fully charged 52v 14ah battery. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether this is combo is useable together?

Thanks

jimmyfergus   100 mW

100 mW

Re: New build TSDZ2 not working

Post by jimmyfergus » Aug 21 2019 2:58pm

Yes that's your exact problem - the 48V motors will do this with a charged 52V battery. Will pootle along on walk assist, but won't assist when riding.

You really need the one of the FOSS firmwares that accepts higher voltage.

I'm not sure but I think you can tweak the factory firmware to raise the voltage limit - also would require a STLink adapter in which case you may as well just flash new firmware.

The last option is you can discharge your battery a bit (e.g. connect an incandescent lightbulb for a while) and once the voltage comes down it should work - I can't remember the threshold but it's above 52V. A fully charged 52V battery is somewhere around 58V I think.

Bigwheel   100 W

100 W

Post by Bigwheel » Aug 21 2019 6:07pm

There is also the option of getting and installing a 52v controller, that is what I did and it works fine, however the battery bars on the display don't work properly but I installed a watt meter to keep track of things.

Biggsy   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Biggsy » Aug 22 2019 2:41am

I had this problem too, confirmed when I fitted the battery on 30 percent charge and it worked fine. Then charged it wouldn't work again. Iam in the process of trying to upgrade the firmware to get around this problem.

gavdxb   1 µW

1 µW

Post by gavdxb » Aug 22 2019 10:17am

I’ve got a copy of stock firmware modified for 52v.

Now just need to work out how to upgrade it 😂

gavdxb   1 µW

1 µW

Post by gavdxb » Aug 22 2019 3:13pm

Thanks - are there any clear instructions on how to do this? I’ve got an STLink now and a modified version of the firmware to support 52v batteries.

I’ve root kitted Android phones and flashed custom firmware to things like routers so I guess this should be ol.

I just haven’t been able to find a set of step by step instructions. I haven’t actually just given it a go to see if its easy as the STLink didn’t arrive until late today.

jimmyfergus wrote:
Aug 21 2019 2:58pm
Yes that's your exact problem - the 48V motors will do this with a charged 52V battery. Will pootle along on walk assist, but won't assist when riding.

I'm not sure but I think you can tweak the factory firmware to raise the voltage limit - also would require a STLink adapter in which case you may as well just flash new firmware.

jimmyfergus   100 mW

100 mW

Post by jimmyfergus » Aug 23 2019 7:31am

Probably the best is the main FOSS firmware wiki: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... e-on-TSDZ2 - the "connect directly" option is the easiest. Follow links from there.

Aquakitty   100 W

100 W

Post by Aquakitty » Aug 24 2019 9:35pm

gavdxb wrote:
Aug 22 2019 3:13pm
Thanks - are there any clear instructions on how to do this? I’ve got an STLink now and a modified version of the firmware to support 52v batteries.

I’ve root kitted Android phones and flashed custom firmware to things like routers so I guess this should be ol.

I just haven’t been able to find a set of step by step instructions. I haven’t actually just given it a go to see if its easy as the STLink didn’t arrive until late today.

jimmyfergus wrote:
Aug 21 2019 2:58pm

Changing the hex codes to "upgrade" the motor to 52v is really easy, but to swap firmware, do you have the right connectors and LCD? It requires either a lot of wire splicing or soldering depending on how you do it. If you already have a KT-LCD3 and all the bits then you can find that info on the Github wiki.

If you just want to change the hex code which takes about 5 mins compared to hours, just follow this guide: https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cyc ... romscratch

You just need to change the one value and you will be gtg.
Rans Enduro Sport w/Sturmey-Archer XFRD8, TSDZ2 open source mod 48v
GT Verb Comp f/s TSDZ2 open source 48v
Diadora Ampio bargain f/s TSDZ2 48v
2020 Diamant 247 belt drive 1000w 9C 48v
Hardtail made from random bits I had laying around, ginormous old Marzocchi fork, BBS02

jimmyfergus   100 mW

100 mW

Post by jimmyfergus » Aug 26 2019 8:36am

Well, there is the Maroq firmware (I have no experience with) that uses the default screen but the FOSS controller firmware. Similar to just raising the voltage limit, that's just a flashing job, with no alternate displays or soldering required.