Replacing Caps In Controller to Higher Voltage?

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
rg12   100 kW

100 kW

Replacing Caps In Controller to Higher Voltage?

Post by rg12 » Feb 22 2020 12:35pm

Was wandering...
Heard this high end controller manufacture say to a friend that if he wants the 120V version of their controller he can deliver and that it's just a matter of changing the caps.
So, I was wandering if it can work on most controllers limited to around 100V by changing to 120V caps.
My main concern is...don't they have a voltage regulator that converts from battery voltage to 5V for the PCB?
If so, I think it's going to be a problem since I built a device before that had a 100V to 5V regulator and to find one for 120V to 5V was a pain, there was only this one going up to 140V that cost like $10 a piece.

e-beach   1 GW

1 GW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Re: Replacing Caps In Controller to Higher Voltage?

Post by e-beach » Feb 22 2020 2:40pm

It really depends on the rest of your controllers components. The caps and FET's are the main ones to look at. My feeling is that your friends controller's company built a version for 120v that would work at 100v with cheaper caps from the factory. However not all controllers are built this way and yours may not be either. The only way to know is open it, notate every component and check the data sheet for each to see the maximum voltage. (or you can give it 120v and see if it blows up..... :shock:)

A full schematic of you controller could help.

As for a 120 to 5v converter, they do exist, might have to order one from China, or you could build a separate 5v battery pack.

:D :bolt:

Edit: https://www.powerstream.com/dda.htm
Favorite Quotes:
"This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." Chris Erskine
"At a certain point the entropy wins." Maria Helena Braga

Current Build: ProFlex 757 Expert full suspension. Yescomusa 36v 800w Rear DD, upgraded 10AWG solid core through axle phase wires. 15ah Headway, 1000+ cycles, 80% DOD 30A Tronsung controller.

Past: Trek 4500 Yescomusa 36v 800w front DD.
Liahona, Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front DD.
1992 Trek 800, Yescomusa 800w 36v front DD.

rg12   100 kW

100 kW

Re: Replacing Caps In Controller to Higher Voltage?

Post by rg12 » Feb 23 2020 7:42pm

e-beach wrote:
Feb 22 2020 2:40pm
It really depends on the rest of your controllers components. The caps and FET's are the main ones to look at. My feeling is that your friends controller's company built a version for 120v that would work at 100v with cheaper caps from the factory. However not all controllers are built this way and yours may not be either. The only way to know is open it, notate every component and check the data sheet for each to see the maximum voltage. (or you can give it 120v and see if it blows up..... :shock:)

A full schematic of you controller could help.

As for a 120 to 5v converter, they do exist, might have to order one from China, or you could build a separate 5v battery pack.

:D :bolt:

Edit: https://www.powerstream.com/dda.htm
Thanks alot, will go for checking the models of the fets and voltage regulator to make sure