The keto thread

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
marty   10 MW

10 MW

Re: The keto thread

Post by marty » Nov 04 2019 10:22pm

markz wrote:
Nov 04 2019 8:53pm
I have lost a few belt notches and had to make my own holes
:D
Leather belt? Hole punch same as you use for sheet metal? Heat nail with propane torch and burn a hole? Awl? How ya make hole?
MARTY
Volt Electric Vehicles
http://www.voltev.com

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Nov 04 2019 11:29pm

markz wrote:
Nov 04 2019 8:53pm
I have lost a few belt notches and had to make my own holes
:D
Congrats!! surely you had some ebike tools laying around to do so.
I have a belt i've had since i started, and it shows the history of my 100lbs loss in the form of how it warped etc. I'll upload a pic later.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Nov 04 2019 11:35pm

Lots of ebike stuff, lots and lots :thumb:
neptronix wrote:
Nov 04 2019 11:29pm
Congrats!! surely you had some ebike tools laying around to do so.
I would normally just drill it, but I did have a leather hole punch I purchased for $1.25 from CRAP-O-RAMA where their slogan should be "Where nothing lasts" or "Everyday is welfare day, thats why we're so busy"
marty wrote:
Nov 04 2019 10:22pm
Leather belt? Hole punch same as you use for sheet metal? Heat nail with propane torch and burn a hole? Awl? How ya make hole?

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Nov 12 2019 10:20pm

Anyone tried Shirataki noodles?
Found it on some list, but been told they dont taste too good.

Maybe find a zuchinni spiral recipe or something.

lots of eggs for me
tenderloin

even the low carb bread is not good for keto, the lowest I found was 11g per slice.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Nov 13 2019 9:15am

Shirataki noodles aren't too bad. They're another one of those not so digestible keto substitute foods that are OK for bridging the gap between prior eating habits and your new reality.

They're allright when drenched in the right sauce :thumb:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

Grantmac   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Grantmac » Nov 13 2019 1:22pm

I've fallen off the wagon for the last week and a bit due to some external factors. Haven't really gained any weight but holy crap am I feeling the inflammation.

I don't really crave noodles anymore but I miss chow mein sometimes. It just isn't great with zoodles etc. Likewise I don't mind cauliflower for most things but can't stand it as rice.

I mainly use variations on the Fathead bread recipe. It's extremely low carb. I like the ones with a touch of yeast which makes them lighter and also adds some flavor.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jan 07 2020 5:13pm

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 09 2020 9:15am

OMG, the crap that mainstream media continues to pull is outrageous.

The doctor interviewed is a member of an organization that's funded by barilla pasta, several vegan propaganda groups, vegan food producers, etc.

The article is written in a way that it appears balanced, using a couple solid facts, then proceeds with a lot of mistruths that wouldn't be easy for a newcomer to sniff out.

Snaky shit, but not unheard of from the mainstream media at all.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 11 2020 9:29pm

I went to Mr Sub awhile ago, and had their Keto bread for my sub, they keep it refrigerated.
I then decided to roam around a granola tree hugger "organic" grocery store to see what offerings they had, figured best chance is there rather then a major main stream grocery store. Reading the food label, bread in general is bad for carbs, flax, chia, almond flour. Then I figured why not tortilla's but not even the whole wheat ones had any significant carb savings. I like the alternatives, using a leaf to wrap meat in, zuchini pasta strings, I even bought a package of Shirataki Noodles which were tasteless but like tofu absorbs flavors and was totally eatible by itself, but the only place that sells Shirataki is T&T asian supermarkets, which non are near me.

sn0wchyld   1 MW

1 MW

Post by sn0wchyld » Jan 11 2020 9:51pm

neptronix wrote:
Jul 30 2019 5:24pm
Me and my wife cheated at an indian restaurant, and it felt worse than any other cheat we've ever done. I realized that the food was very similar to my holier than thou vegetarian diet, since i'd based my diet then around this idealistic view of Indian vegetarianism, like many clueless westerners are ought to do.

Side note: ketogenic diets are exploding in popularity in India as of writing. So it's interesting that they are also undergoing a shift in mentality over there as well.
i'd just add the caviate that it may not be the diet itself, but could easily be one of many other things - bad indian itself, your gut not being used to that food, food just being too rich etc etc - attributing it to the food types itself is jumping the gun imho. Not to say keto isn't still good, just pointing out it may not have been the food groups itself that made you feel rough.

Im moving back towards keto (or atleast minimal carb/no sugar) myself. Best I've ever felt was having a near full carnivore diet - mostly steak/lamb with some simple roast veg (capsicum and zucchini mainly). I dont have issues anythign near IBS but man does the plumbing work well on that diet, despite the near absence of fibre. A couple of job changes etc have meant ive gone back to the quick and easy stuff, and man do I ever feel tired now... coffee dependence has gone way up. Will be interesting to see how i can maintain it since its likely my job is gonna have me living in France for a few years - and i do like my almond croissants and iced coffee.

sn0wchyld   1 MW

1 MW

Post by sn0wchyld » Jan 11 2020 9:53pm

neptronix wrote:
Jan 09 2020 9:15am
OMG, the crap that mainstream media continues to pull is outrageous.

The doctor interviewed is a member of an organization that's funded by barilla pasta, several vegan propaganda groups, vegan food producers, etc.

The article is written in a way that it appears balanced, using a couple solid facts, then proceeds with a lot of mistruths that wouldn't be easy for a newcomer to sniff out.

Snaky shit, but not unheard of from the mainstream media at all.
Its CNN. I really dont need to say anymore do I?

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 12 2020 11:33pm

CNN is FAKE NEWS!
sn0wchyld wrote:
Jan 11 2020 9:53pm
Its CNN. I really dont need to say anymore do I?

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Jan 23 2020 10:43pm

Tim Tebow had a keto wedding cake with Miss Universe 2017. Not even much of a pro athlete, but he sure lives the life.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Jan 24 2020 10:07am

My only issue with Keto is too much counting, and with such calorie dense stuff in the diet it was too easy to take in too many calories. I'm going to do a strict Whole 30 with a heavy Keto influence to get my system back on track. I'll kick it off with a weekend fast and then 30 days of nothing from the forbidden list. It's easy to do anything for 30 days.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jan 25 2020 3:15pm

neptronix wrote:
Nov 13 2019 9:15am
Shirataki noodles aren't too bad. They're another one of those not so digestible keto substitute foods that are OK for bridging the gap between prior eating habits and your new reality.

They're allright when drenched in the right sauce :thumb:
Keto Friendly Sauce